Frogging????

YarnFeather

Question

Okay, so I have a grand idea!

I have this HUGE afghan that was made my my hubby's grandma. It has made the rounds totally......

Inlaws had it....

Both sis in laws had it...

Its resting place has been here in my home..... in an underbed storage compartment on my water bed.....

It is so big, it hangs off the sides of my king sized waterbed!!! You can not wash and dry it for under $15 at the laundry!! It will not fit in my washer or dryer... it is just a pain in the butt! :blush

SO...l am going to frog it. Who knows how old it is.... it has some holes in it, and I do not think repairing it would do a bit of good since it will just go back under the waterbed in a storage unit.... shove....shove....push...shove... oh well just leave the door open... lol

I started frogging tonight. I am going to hate this arent I???? It is acrylic, and it is really hard to do take apart... I have not even gotten through the 1st chain! LOL Im such a wuss!!!!

Any tips on how to frog???? :think More so, how to frog really old yarn???? :think

Eventually I am going to make something for my MIL out of it.

Thanks!

11 answers to this question

I'll probably go to hell for this, but if I were doing something that large, I'd cut it into a few pieces to make it more manageable. I'd try to do it so as to lose as little as possible, but if it's too big even for a king-sized bed I wouldn't really worry about some loss. It doesn't matter how old the yarn is as long as it's still in good condition. If it's been used and washed a lot, you're going to have more trouble frogging it than if it was new because a lot of the fibers have probably worked themselves together. I keep embroidery scissors handy to clip the little bits of fiber that work themselves around the strands as you frog.

I have a biggie to do also, but it's wool. Thank goodness it was knitted in long strips that I can take apart.

I laughed so hard when I read this! :lol

If you have a yarn winder, could you try to wind it as you go?

I've thought about frogging directly on to the yarn winder, but I usually like to wash and dekink yarns before I use them, so I start either with skeins (if I'm up to standing behind a chair for that long) or sit and wind into a handwound ball. Then the skeins, then the cakes. Whoooh! I sure do make a lot of work for myself. And the wool blanket is packed away till Fall because I can't even stand the thought of frogging anything that big while it's so hot. :sweat

I have not even gotten through the 1st chain!

don't start with the beginning chain - start on the other end (the last row grandma did).

Lynlee, I was going to mention that, but I thought that wasn't what she really meant. You're right, she will have to take it out stitch by stitch if she starts at the beginning.

Maybe cut it into a few squares and have it framed with a photo and story about his Grandma for a gift for everyone?

Donna

I think that is an awesome idea. Then no one gets their feelings hurt about grammas afghan/quilt/monster yarn animal.....:yay

Maybe cut it into a few squares and have it framed with a photo and story about his Grandma for a gift for everyone?

Donna

Donna, I would do that, but actually, we got it because it needed a home. My father in law and his mother are like fire and ice. No one in the family has spoken to her in over 10 years. Long story short, but she once told him when he was a child that he was never wanted. No gifts for the grandkids born from my fil. So, it needs put to sleep... and reborn in to something else.....My mil wont need to know where the yarn came from right??? :think She did not acknowledge the death of our daughter, or our nephew. So, this is the only thing to do with it in my and Jim's eyes. There is so much yarn, it needs to be enjoyed....

don't start with the beginning chain - start on the other end (the last row grandma did).

I am starting at the ending. lol but to me, taking it out... i guess i consider it MY beginning chain.... :lol :lol :lol

You may still want to save a little bit of it, in tact, for posterity...I have no idea what kinds of tensions my family had with each other, but it would be fabulous if we had something from our great-greats. In 200 years, the quarrels won't matter, but family still will. Geneology and all, you know. :D

Maybe if you don't want to wrap it around something you could just make a really long chain? Take a big hook-like a Q-and literally just tug (lightly, of course) and chain. You could even put the blanket in your hubbie's lap and have him "give you slack" while you chain. Then you could do it while chatting or watching the news. You wouldn't have to worry about it sliding off whatever tube you put it on and it's much less likely to tangle than if you just frogged it into long strands. It would also make it easier to lay out and decide what to make next without so much worry about it tangling. Also, to make it more compact you could work a few sc rows when you get tired of chaining or think it's too long. I've done that before when I've frogged big things. It stores easier and you can give it a quick wash with a bit of liquid soap and a touch of fabric softner in the sink (add a tsp of fabric softner to a sinkful of water and swoosh around).

I'm a little confused as to why it's difficult to pull back, have you tried tugging a little harder? Sometimes stitches that have, hm, settled, are a bit sticky...

Good luck :)

Holiday

Archived