that 7th inning S-T-R-E-T-C-H

This is an issue that is a part of so many things we crochet but because I am back at making hats again I am really being challenged by the amount of stretch I get in my work.

I would guess that it is largely dependent on each person's personal crochet style but I can never seem to guess how much give I will get with my hats and such. Since most of my work goes to charity, it is 'interesting' to say the least to guess what size any item might be.

This has come up because I just made a hat with the Foundation DC that I hoped would be rather stretchy... it usually is for me... and it just barely fits the mannequin that I use. although, I think it may be the Dc/Ch1 mesh that is being tight. (Is that a problem for others with mesh stitch?) I have the other side of that as well as some of my hats are getting huge at the base :eek

So how are others finding the "Stretch" factor to be a consideration in your work?

(Now the other option is that I could just get a life and not post silly questions here :heehee )

Not sure what the problem is I made myself 2 hats and have to wash to shrink them back to size after a couple wears or they flop down over my eyes ect. I always use a DC for my hats as I hate to SC in the round.

:lol, funny you should mention this. I have same issue, but I am leaning toward (for me at least) it is a hair issue. (Gone from Farah type hair to an orange with some strings sticking out :eek.)

Seriously, I can get one hat to fit and then another seems way to big. I honestly think a lot has to do with yarn too...Maybe manufacturers should enter a stretch factor on the labels?

Could be tension too...I do measure occasionally, but that hasn't helped alot.

Dc does stretch a lot in a hat, but using the ch 1 with the dc is probably keeping the stretch in check. Remember a ch is also a slst. When you slst along an edge, it will stabilize it and help keep it from stretching. So that's probably what's going on with your hat.

Darski, you're always so helpful to other people that you of all people should know there's no such thing as a silly question!

I have also been thinking about stretch recently. I'm trying to branch out into socks, and am wondering if there's a stitch combo that would be stretchy. Non-stretchy socks don't sound too comfortable :think

I'll follow this with interest!

Dc does stretch a lot in a hat, but using the ch 1 with the dc is probably keeping the stretch in check.

I love it when people like you contribute from their vast wealth of knowledge! :cheer Wow, I had no idea that's how sl st works, or about the ch inbetween dc. Thanks for the useful info, that will really come in handy.

:cheerA good test of how each different sequence of stitches will work is to work on an uneven number of stitches, maybe 19 DCs, then after a few rows, revert to 1DC, CH1 mesh and you will find it is now smaller.

A few years back, I made a childs cardigan using a 5DC Shell with SC on each side then on the next row the Shells were worked into the SCs and the SC itno the top of the Shell.

It came out an excellent fit for my Grandaughter.

I then decided to make a slightly lighter weight one, the same number of stitches but with a Shell made up of 1DC, CH1, 1DC, CH1, 1DC, all into the same stitch, with a SC on each side.

I used the same yarn and hook but it came out much smaller which showed me that a CH SP does not equal a DC.

Could be that the same applies with the CH SP in mesh.

Most of the hats I make are worked from the top down so I can have a bit of control over the size of the head hole but if I think it is too big, I just add a border of SCs, with the last row being Crab Stitch, to tighten it up, knowing that eventually it will stretch a bit.

:eekToo hot here to think about hats but I have still been making bedsocks for some of the oldies in the Resthome where my mum lives.

Seems like they need them all the year around, especially if they do not have good mobility.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I have a hat pattern that's a pretty simple DC in rounds and then a round of back loop only that makes a brim fold up. Everytime I make this hat, it's a different size depending on the yarn I use. Only once has it turned out too big. I donated the too-large one to Good Will and the next week I spotted someone wearing it -- he had a large head and was probably posting somewhere about his great luck in finding a warm hat that fit.

The current version of it was made with a somewhat bulkier yarn and the brim made with that yarn that feels like suede. It looks like a Russian winter hat. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but I know something is off -- I only wear it when it's really icy frigid and I get a lot of looks.

Archived