Project Graduation - silent auction

fritzerbear

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place or not?

My son is a senior in high school. There is a parent committee planning a Project Graduation event for our seniors (approximately 400 students). (For those who are unfamiliar, Project Graduation is an event that provides a drug-free, alcohol-free, all-night celebration for all graduating high school seniors. The event immediately follows commencement and will cinclude activities, food, drinks, entertainment, games prizes and gifts.)

Unfortunately, our community has suffered much loss this year due to Hurricane Ike and the economy so fundraising for this event has been very difficult. We still need to raise over $10,000 in order to make this event a success.

The Project Graduation planning committee is now planning a dinner banquet and silent auction for Feb. 7. I want to crochet several items for the auction, but I just don't have a lot of time. I've started on a round ripple afghan in the school colors (green and gold) using a double-strand of yarn and an N hook to get it done quickly.

The purpose of this post is two-fold:

1. I would love some more ideas for items that I might be able to get made quickly that you think might do well at a silent auction to bring in some money for this worthy cause.

2. If you have any items that you would be willing to donate to this silent auction, please PM me or email me at LHart@williamskherkher.com.

Thanks a million!!!

Maybe you can save yourself a bit of time right now & still raise money, you could put a gift certificate for auction, good for one shawl for prom or an afghan for Christmas. You pick the pattern & they pick the color(s). This way they could see a picture of what they were bidding for & they would get to customize it. I did some of the same for Project Graduation when my kids were graduating. My daughters class also sold beach towels with the school name & logo on it. One woman made cakes so she did something similar, gave a certificate good for a cake to serve 'x' number of people.

I don't know if you sew or not, or if you know any moms who do. You could make shopping bags. I buy remnant fabric from WalMart & make them as gifts or for myself. Here's a link to an easy pattern. Good luck with everything & I hope they have a great time.

I've seen the gift certificate idea alot with silent auctions. Some for services, like mowing the yard x numbers of times, raking leaves, washing cars etc. Typically the kids would do this. Think I remember some for babysitting too.

I chaired the event when my daughter graduated, but it didn't cost anything close to the 10,000.00 you're trying to raise. Our class was smaller.

We organized at the beginning of the senior year and the kids had projects all year long to raise money. They did car washes, bake sales, worked a few places in town and the money made was put into the class kitty. Like ushers at football games, and I remember a book publisher used the kids one Sat every month to load and unload boxes of books, things like that.

The only thing parents did was a huge rummage sale. We called it trash and treasure sale I think. It's huge, we even had furniture for sale. We advertised it in the local paper and made some good money on it. The Trash and Treasure thing is now a tradition at the school and it is always successful. It was held right at the school, parents worked it, so no need to rent a space elsewhere.

Good luck with your quest.

Sandy

How about people from crochetville donating one of their homemade items.

This way they will have alot of variety too choose from. And Hopefully raise the money needed.

I would love contributions of homemade items. I am going to put together baskets with a variety of items for our school colors as well as the colors of the popular colleges in our area:

1. Santa Fe High School - slightly darker than kelly green and bright yellow

2. University of Texas - burnt orange and white

3. Texas A&M - maroon and white

4. Texas Tech University - red and black

Thanks to all who are willing to help.

Archived