Shoulder pain problem

Hi Everyone,

For the last approx. 12 days I've been having problems with pain & lack of range of motion in my shoulder, about 2-3 inches down on the outside from the shoulder ball. It started that way, but for the last 3 or 4 days it's moved down sometimes into my thumb & the space between it & my index finger, as well as the shoulder. I don't know if there is a problem in the hand too or if it's just referred pain from the shoulder. Of course, it's my left hand & I'm LHed....

I'm terrified that this will mean I'll have to stop crocheting. I've had fibromyalgia for over a decade, but this is something else. It feels more like an injury. In fact, when it 1st started I thought I'd just slept on my arm wrong. I have a doctor's appt. on the 21st, but just thought I'd ask you ladies if any of you have experienced this to see what it could possibly be. I'm almost 60 now & do have osteoarthritis in other places. I had a knee replacement (on the other side) 1 1/2 yrs ago. So far I've been taking Motrin which helps some & putting my whole arm under my electric blanket. It's so cold, the thought of ice is not a welcome one.

I've been trying to finish a Spidey blanket for a little boy I know & finishing up some of the last of stuff for my soon to be newest DGS. Any ideas would be great.

You really need to have it evaluated by a physician. It could be a variety of things. I recently had the same symptoms, shoulder pain and loss of range of motion. Thankfully it turned out to be a "frozen shoulder" and after MRI and lots of worry, physical therapy was all I ended up needing. I'm almost as good as new now and I still have home exercises to do to keep it improving. But, the most important thing is a good MD to do a good eval first!

I had similar symptoms a few months ago and it turned out to be a rotator cuff injury. After exercises and an anti-inflammatory, it's much, much better. I didn't have to stop crocheting, but I did have to slow down considerably. The only way to know for sure is to see your doctor. I would call back and see if you could get an earlier appointment and in the meantime rest it as much as possible. I hope you feel better soon! Let us know how it goes!

like the previoius posters said - see your doctor to be sure. it seems like the same as my symptoms. i was diagnosed with frozen shoulder on my right side ten years ago. physical therapy and time fixed me up. i've just gone through this on my left side during the past year. again, physical therapy and time. the exercises really do help.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I do plan to go to the doctor ASAP. I was trying to finish up an afghan, but it's now hurting massively in my hand too. Guess I'll just have to give it a rest until I find out what's going on. This includes posting as well.

Happy hookin'

I'm sorry you may have to give up hooking and typing for a bit to rest it, but you can still think up future projects and color schemes you'd like to work with. Feel better soon.

Thanks. Yes, planning is the part I usually lack on. I collect 100s of patterns & then sort of pick at random when I make something. I've been wanting to try my hand at some design too. At least I could probably create some filet patterns to try out later.

I really hope you can get it sorted, do be careful in the meantime though. Better to ease up on the crochet now, for a short while, rather than plug on with it and do more damage to your shoulder.

I have health/pain problems myself and I know how hard it is to feel restricted, but maybe you can enjoy other hobbies such as reading or planning projects.

Good luck!

Archived