New law - handmade toys

grandmum6

There's a big discussion about this already here on the ville.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91544&highlight=cpsia

I believe the CPSC is considering a waiver for toys made in the USA of natural products, but that maybe just scuttlebutt.. I haven't gone and read through the updated pdf's. Too much legalese for this brain.

Does this mean that it's illegal to even make like blankets & such for charities?:eek

You can make them.. whether or not the charity will be comfortable in accepting them under this new law is up to the charity.

Maybe the yarn sellers heard this already and that is why they are doing away with (or) cutting down inventory in a lot of their yarn departments. But, you would still be able to make gifts for friends babies and children etc. One would think anyhow. You just wouldn't be able to sell the items. And Charities and places that accept such items probably wouldn't accept them due to libability issues because of the new 'law'.

• 4 weeks later...

it's not just toys! It's EVERYTHING that might be used on, for, by or appeal to a child 12 or under...

Take ACTION, write your representatives in DC, write Senator Waxman and Ms. Nord of CPSC...

Write, call AND fax them. Do it NOW... Feb 10th may be too late.

Read the actual law CAREFULLY, disclaimers "not intended for children 12 and under" will NOT apply if a "reasonable" person would look at the item and expect it to be used for, on or by a child 12 or under, or if it would APPEAL to a child 12 and under.

(there's a whole section on the ETSY forums devoted to discussing the ramifications of the law and fighting for amendments..)

There are at least 2 petitions about this law online (you can google for them) but I don't know how seriously anyone will take an electronic petition.

The exception for resale/2nd hand shops and donations is only a "sorta" reprieve, they are excused from the requirement to test, but might still be prosecuted if they HAVE (they don't need to even sell/give, just have in inventory) an item which would not pass testing... to face liability and possible charges.

The CPSIA has been changed to allow natural materials such as hemp, wool, silk, cotton and others to be used for making toys/apparel.

However, at this point, this means those materials AS LONG AS they are UNDYED and UNBLEACHED...

Welcome to the Beige New World of childhood.

yea basically it means that everything for a child under the age of 12 has to be inspected i wonder if it will be possible for them to test the yarn and we could use the inspected yarns they have found to be safe maybe its a way to fix the problem i just cant see not being able to make baby blankets, hats, gloves, scarves etc for charity this is nuts

yea basically it means that everything for a child under the age of 12 has to be inspected i wonder if it will be possible for them to test the yarn and we could use the inspected yarns they have found to be safe maybe its a way to fix the problem i just cant see not being able to make baby blankets, hats, gloves, scarves etc for charity this is nuts

having the supplies (made in huge amounts in factories) tested by the producer and supplying paperwork to cover US using their supplies is one of the changes we've been asking for.

KEEP calling and writing your Representatives, Mr.Waxman AND Ms.Nord...

Keep this issue a PITA for them.

Archived