Newbie asking questions

wiz3283

Hi Everyone

I am new to knitting but have been on the Ville as a crocheter for over 2 years. Anyway I want to make a simple knit baby blanket in stockingnet stitch. Anyone know where I can find free pattern or how many stitches I would need to cast on?

Stockinette natually curls toward the purl side if you don't use several stitches of something which will lie flat at the edges. Garter stitch, seed stitch or another flat stitch needs to "frame" your blanket on all sides with several stitches to keep the stockinette from curling till it's unusable. Even 9 or 10 garter stitches on the edges will help that blanket lie flat.

INSTRUCTIONS

Cast on 100 sts.

Knit 4 rows for border

Row 1 K across

Row 2 K 4 sts, purl across to last 4 sts K last 4 sts.

Row 3 K across

Repeat rows 1, 2, & 3 until you have the lenght you want of stockinet st.

Last 4 rows - K across - forming border to match first 4 rows. Cast off

You want a garter stitch ( all knit) border so it doesn't curl.. With this pattern it will lay flat..

Thank you all so much!!!!!

I was wondering if I made a stockingnet blanket and then crocheted a nice ruffled border would that keep it from curling up?

I'm just offering some advice here, okay? A stockinette blanket won't be very nice, even if you add a crocheted border.

If you can do stockinette (knit stitches and purl stitches) then you can do a stitch pattern with a little textural interest that will be much nicer than plain stockinette stitch. Ideally you want something REVERSIBLE for a blanket. That could be seed st, moss st, garter st or some combination of these. A simple block design or basketweave stitch would be easy and reversible and actually MORE FUN TO KNIT! Believe me, an entire blanket of stockinette stitch will be very boring to knit, kind of along the lines of doing an entire blanket in single crochet.

I am currently making Bunny Hop in Caron One Pound cream. If you can knit and purl, it's fun and easy (well, after the first pattern repeat, it gets easy; I'm a visual person, so I needed to see it playing out to really understand it). My mother likes it so much she's considering taking up needles again. I hope not--she gave me her giant set of needles several years ago, and I don't want to give it back. :lol Patty

PS If you're on Ravelry, lots of people have made it and have posted photos, so you can get a really good idea of what it looks like in different yarns and colors.

• 2 weeks later...

hello tammy

so you`re knitting again?? thats so nice

i`m gonna try knitting again :yes

i think you are addicted to baby stuff

you can make knitted squares and join them in crochet method with ruffled crochet edgeing and it will look pretty :yes

Archived