border for simple triangle shawl

Julia from NorCal

Question

I just finished my first shawl and need some advice on the border. The pattern is a simple 3 DC shell. I did a SC around the whole thing and it looks great but wondered what else folks do.

I'm tempted to run another SC around it again but don't want it to be too bulky.

I used the Caron One Pound yarn.

Thanks for your help. :)

8 answers to this question

I just finished a knitted shawl...and crocheted the border as follows. 1 row of sc all around. 1 row of sc on the bottom 2 sides. Turn and ch 1. Do *sc, ch 5, 1 sc in the second ch from hook, ch 3, skip 3 stitches on shawl, sc in next st*. This turned out beautiful. :)

Blessed Be.

When I do 3 dc shell shawls, I edge this way: Sc all the way around for 1 or 2 rounds, whatever you like best.

The edge that will be against the neck is now finished.

On the other 2 edges, add this: Sc in 1st st, sk 1 st, 5 dc in next st, sk 1 st. Repeat sequence along both edges, adjusting where necessary.

I was looking for an edging to use on my mom's shawl... this one isn't a triangle, but the one I have in mind might work.

http://www.halfknits.com/ruffle-edge-pattern.htm

With the shawl I think I would do a row or two of SC around, then only do the ruffle around the other 2 sides.

Guideline reminder: I just ran across a post in this thread in which information about a site that appears in Crochetville's filters was added. When a site is added to our filters, any links to that site will appear with a bunch of ******** and the links won't work. Sites can be added to the filter for a number of reasons: they post scanned images of copyrighted patterns with out stating they have permission, they distribute unlicensed patterns of trademarked/copyrighted characters, material is too adult in nature for our child-friendly forum, etc.

If a site has been added to our filters, that also means we cannot allow any discussion of that site, hints at how to find the site or what's on it.

If you ever post a link to a site that's in our filters, please go back and edit or delete your post to remove the link and any mention of that site.

For more information on this particular guideline, you can read our regular forum guidelines post and our summary post of guidelines related to trademark/copyright issues. If you have questions about the guidelines, please feel free to contact me via PM.

I'm posting this reminder just to help make sure everyone knows about the purpose of our site filters so you can help us make sure information about specific sites that appear in our filters isn't posted here at Crochetville.

They al seem to be blocked.  I don't understand why, if they're links to sites for what we are looking for... Very frustrating.  I'm trying to find border patterns for a triangular shawl and it seems most of the sites want to show me triangular stitches.  Any suggestions? 

Hi and welcome to the ville.

Amy, who posted above is a site owner, and explained why some links were removed due to copyright law violation.  You also 'dug up' a 10 year old post, and internet blogs come and go, or links get moved which probably happened to the Lion Brand one.  I would be surprised if any of them worked on such an old post.

It would be a good idea to open a new thread if you are looking for something specific  ;) 

The thing with triangle shawls, or edging patterns that go around corners, is that you need to have the stitch count correspond between shawl and edging, or 'fudge' by skipping a stitch or 2-in-1 here and there which can be tricky to hide.  

If you haven't already made the shawl, you would be better off finding a triangle shawl pattern with an edging you like so the hard work of trying to marry shawl to edging has already been done for you.  Another search word might be handkerchief edgings, assuming your shawl is a right angle.

Here is a pattern search on Ravelry https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&availability=free&pc=shawl-wrap&pa=triangle-shaped&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs

I think if you are not a Ravelry member, the search criteria may revert to all patterns, but there are filters on the left side so you can recreate my search or make your own.  My filters were free, crochet, shawl, triangle - so there are shawl patterns, but some have edgings you might like.  The wider the pattern repeat, the more difficult it will be to 'fudge fit'. 

Archived