starching angels

neicy crochets

Question

I've mad a few crocheted angels this year but am having a terrible time getting them starched. They turn out all *gicky* looking. I am using Aileen's tacky glue, watered down with equal parts water but the still look terrible!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Denise

7 answers to this question

I use liquid hairspray. I use one I might have liked but didn't and didn't want to throw it away. I save the hairspray for when I need to starch something other than my hair. All I do is get some kind of bowl , fill it with the hairspray and soak the item Im startching, sqweese out the extra and lay out to dry. Sometimes I put all the hairspray in the bowl and keep a cover on it for next time.

I use stiffy, then if it's a 3-D angel (versus a flat one) I let it dry on a plastic wrap covered styrofoam cone.

:yes That is what I use and it works great. depending on how stiff you want it you can dilute with more or less water.

I make ALOT of angels and I have found that the sugar/water method works the best for me. While it is quite sticky when you are working with it, the angels dry quickly and stay stiff.

Depending on the size of the angels, you can use a styro cone covered in plastic wrap to shape them or if they are small I just use plastic wrap and stuff them once they are wet to shape.

I personally have had no bug problems with this method, though I have read in some other threads that other people have had some issues with it.

I have also tried the starch/water method and don't like the flaking and residue the starch leaves behind.

TLOL,

Toni

Archived