even stitches?

bubblefizz

Question

How do you get smooth even stitches? :blush ive noticed on some peoples work it is so even and very smooth, how do they do it? is it the way you hold the yarn/thread or is there a technique for it?

would love to know :D

12 answers to this question

IMO..I think it's just something that happens with practice & tension. Are you a new crocheter? If so, then the uniform stitches will come to you once you figure out the best way to get even tension. It's just something that you have to figure out while working on a project. The more you crochet, the better your stitches will turn out.

Yep! Practice, practice, practice. :D

I teach, and it does take some students longer than others to get the hang of tension, and to get comfortable with yarn and hook. Hang in there! ;)

For me I have to have the skein of yarn in the exact same place (on the floor, to my left, slightly in front of me), I have to be sitting upright in a comfortable chair with both feet on the ground (no lounging or slouching), and my arms must have unrestricted movement (no armrests in the way). Then I noticed a few years ago when someone asked about my even stitches that I used my fingers quite a bit when I am hooking. When I y.o. instead of just letting the yarn sit on the hook and perhaps change tension I use the tip of my finger to "hold on" to it in place. I do the same thing in between yarning over and pulling through loops.

I do agree with the others that it just takes time to get even tension. Keep adjusting placement of the skein, arm position, etc. I would suggest making swatches with each st and experiment to see how to get the evenest sts. If you make the swatches big enough you can donate them to a cat rescue charity (or your favorite charity).

Hope that helps! :bounce

Something I find that helps is to not crochet from yarn "tight" from the skein.

I pull a few lengths out and let it sit loosely, once that's used up, pull out a few more lengths so I'm not tugging on the yarn as I'm actually stitching.

Did that make any sense??? :think I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right.

Holly

Something I find that helps is to not crochet from yarn "tight" from the skein.

I pull a few lengths out and let it sit loosely, once that's used up, pull out a few more lengths so I'm not tugging on the yarn as I'm actually stitching.

Did that make any sense??? :think I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right.

Holly

I do the same, Holly. I wil even pull out 20-30 arm lengths (keep them straight) and lay them in front of me so that I don't have to pull from the skein. Tension is everything in crochet and I agree with Drew. Proper posture is important and having nothing to hinder your movements (ie: armrest, pillows, leaning back on pillows, etc.) is also key to perfect tension.

just tried the ring method and WOW it does work ..........what a difference!!!

takes a bit of getting used to though, but im gonna stick with this method in future, thanks ladies:)

LOL, I crochet best exactly like Drew; yarn on the floor to the left and slightly ahead of me, good chair with widely spaced or no armrests at all, and I also do the "finger on the hook when I YO" trick; otherwise I get noticeable differences in the size of my loops. I CANNOT crochet lying down; my best friend crochets in bed, I flat can't do it. And yep, when I crochet from a skein (read: when I'm too lazy to make center-pull balls *hehe*) I do the same as Holly and Cheryl, pull out several arms lengths of yarn and lay them out so there's no tugging as I go along.

same here! i actually pull out quite a bit, i generally wrap the yarn over my thumb and pinkie a dozen times or more so i have a nice loose but small pile of yarn to crochet from. i can't work with the tug a lil with each stitch method both my grandma and mom seem to do so well, heh.

Archived