FreeCycle

CatsCradleCreations

Isn't freecycle the greatest. I received some yarn and knitting needles last week from a lady on free cycle and then just yesterday posted about wanting a flute for my daughter and within an hour a women emailed me with one she hadn't used in years.

Freecycle rocks:cheer

Mary

Good luck with that, girl. I was crocheting and knitting hats for chemo patients and posted at freecycle. I am always hearing complaints about how people who want free things aren't willing to go out of their way to receive them. So, this being my first experience, I wanted to make sure I wasn't one of those. I travelled considerable distance to pick up what someone assured me was a "gold mine" of yarn. It was an 8" x 12" x 6: box of little tiny balls of yarn. The biggest might have been 30 yards. Of course, I couldn't complain. It was free. But it might be difficult for me to get a chemo patient to take a hat that looked like it had been made of all scraps.

Well, I thought that might be an isolated instance. But it was pretty much repeated twice. I did have one lady give me some nice yarn in amounts sufficient to make hats for the hospital. But I found that it was actually cheaper to just buy the yarn myself and donate it, rather than the wear and tear on my car and gas budget (not to mention the stairs I fell down because there was no porch light at one house and a bike at the top of the stairs - picture me skinned and bleeding and trying to recapture 40+ itty bitty balls of yarn.)

I hope your experience is better than mine. My best experiences with freecycle have been when I was the one giving.

I had a few handmade blankets donated to me to give to charity from Freecycle. Mostly i Just respond to offers or wants. I love giving someone something they are looking for. I never know what to offer up and it can be a hassle so I don't offer much. No one responded with yarn though. I'll try again this winter as I have PLENTY right now!

That's awesome, Melissa. I've been a member of FreeCycle for a couple of months and all I get is people who want to help me make charity items. No one is getting rid of their stash!

I've belonged to Freecycle and a splinter group called homecycle for over a year...Do you know it never occurred to me to see if anyone wanted to part with yarn? That was until Xanthas post with her HUGE haul...I've yet to ask as its a trek to get everywhere from my house, think little house on the prairie only in a dodge sherrod...hehe.

I think Im gonna give it a shot....:devil

Congrats on ur freecycle yarn! And Freecycle is a wonderful concept! And it can and does work!

Oh btw there is another organization called Free4All.org, I believe. Its the same concept just not as widely know. I'll update with a link!

Heres the correct link for freeforall: http://freeforall.org/index.cfm

OMG ... :bang :bang :bang:cry :cry :grump So! I joined FreeCycle tonight, had to wait for moderator approval (pretty fast really, about 2.5 hours) ... and during that 2.5 hours someone had posted that they had over 80 Annie's Attic booklets, mostly crochet! And someone else had gotten there first :( Can you imagine, *80* of those booklets? That's just insane.

Overall my local group seems to mostly be giving/wanting kids clothes and toys, but we'll see. I have several things that I'm going to put on offer tomorrow, and then post a WANT for yarn and see what happens. Maybe I can get enough for some of the Pine Ridge blankets I've promised!

OMG Lani!!!! How cool and sad....fingers crossed the previous owner of those 80 booklets finds MORE and your first!

I love seeing what folks find thru freecycle!

Also not sure if this is for all area but the freecycle in my area has sort of a sister group thats called something like treasure hunters and you either barter or get things WAY cheap. Cheaper than a garage sale or thrift store!

One tip about getting yarn from FreeCycle (and it's posted elsewhere on the forum): let them know that you're planning on using the yarn for charity. You'll get a lot more responses that way.

I did but only get volunteers to help make things instead of yarn/thread.

Thanks for the link for free4all -- I will check that one out. :D

All the Freecycles are on Yahoo, aren't they? I got burned by Yahoo, so I don't use any of their services any longer, no matter the reason. It's a principle thing. I want nothing to do with them. It sucks to miss out on stuff like this, but I have to do what I have to do.

Thanks for the link for free4all -- I will check that one out. :D

All the Freecycles are on Yahoo, aren't they? I got burned by Yahoo, so I don't use any of their services any longer, no matter the reason. It's a principle thing. I want nothing to do with them. It sucks to miss out on stuff like this, but I have to do what I have to do.

Yes, Freecycle is on Yahoo.

Thanks, I was pretty sure that was the case. I knew the Rochester one was Yahoo-based. Hopefully this free4all one takes off... it's nice to have a similar service that is standalone.

I just got home from my second pick up today and Ann sent me home with THREE big garbage bags full of yarn, thread, and froggin sweaters!! That's not the half of it, either; she wants me to come back in a month or two and get MORE!! :woo

Oh, and even though I requested yarn for charity, she said to make sure to keep some for myself! :manyheart What a sweetheart she is!

Anyone need some yarn for charity? I've already promised some off, but if you want some, let me know!

Archived