Need Ideas for Present

I have a teacher who is from Turkey and he has been my instructor for several classes now. I would love to make him something that is somehow symbolic to his homeland. Might anyone have any suggestions for me? I would be very appreciative for any information you could give me. I have done an Internet search, but I cannot find anything that I could use to crochet for him/his family.

Thank you very much for your time!

Have a great day!

:hook

Tina

PS I won't be giving him and his assistant the presents until the end of the next quarter (10 more weeks). I don't know if they celebrate Christmas, so it will be a "I'm going away" gift.

Hi,

I am from Turkey, there is one thing is very common, they love soccer (called football there) and many of them support (fan) of a soccer club. If you know (ask) what club he is in. THey have colors. (one of them bright yellow, bright red) the other one black and white and other one bright yellow, dark blue (like navy blue)

You can make coaster or hat with one of the club colors.

Here is links to see the colors

http://www.cimbom.org/

http://www.islamgul.com/besiktas/9222-besiktas-logolari-besiktas-resimleri-besiktas-amblemi-karakartal-resimleri.html

Demet

• 3 weeks later...

I do appreciate the suggestions. But, due to financial circumstances, I won't be able to make my instructor or his family anything unless the Goodwill store gets some yarn donated soon.

As it turns out, he doesn't wear a scarf ever- or a hat, etc. I wanted to make a throw for his family's living room, and that takes more yarn than I can afford. I could make a doily (I'm pretty sure that I have enough thread for a doily), but wouldn't that be an odd gift for a male instructor? I'm in the process of emailing his aid (who I'd like to give a gift to as well)to ask her some questions about his likes/dislikes, colors of his home, etc. They have both been so helpful, and I have really enjoyed these classes so I want to show them my gratitiude, but I am just at a loss.

So, my question now is, would it be odd to give him a doily for his family's home?

Thanks for reading this, and I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

:hug

Tina

How about the Lily Sugar and Cream Stash Baskets - They don't take much yarn and you could do them in the colors of his soccer team and/or country.

What about a thread bookmark? All instructors could use these - a good gift for his aide also.

There are paperback book totes on Priscilla Hewitts website that would be really great for a teacher and don't take a huge amount of yarn.

Do you know how to do filet? You could always make a filet piece for him, perhaps a soccer logo or the turkish flag?

Does he wear glasses? Priscilla Hewitts site also has some nice glasses cases.

Coasters would be a great gift, they can also be made from thread. I would take a bit of time and look under the misc. and home decor sections of the free pattern sites and maybe somthing will hit you that you want to make.

It is just my opinion but I don't think a doily would be a good Man Gift, I would lean more toward the bookmark and/or baskets. There is a trinket bowl on CPC that I made for presents this year for both men and women. It calls for size 3 thread but I made it in crochet cotton and it works up to be about 5 1/2" across that way. I just used Manly colors. It's a great little thing to put change, keys, and little stuff in. Maybe in a bedroom on a dresser, or on a table for all those little things you don't want to loose.

Hope this helps somes,

TLOL,

Toni

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have a different suggestion for you, that doesn't cost any money. To express your gratitude, write a letter to him, and to the aide. That way they will each know exactly how you feel. They may end up keeping the letters for a long time. Reading your words about specific things you enjoyed about the classes and specific ways in which they helped you will be very meaningful to them.

I think I will go with the last two suggestions! Thanks! A letter to each and a bookmark to each of them! I knew if I posted here I'd get alot of help! Thank you all so very much!

Have a great day everyone!

I think I will go with the last two suggestions! Thanks! A letter to each and a bookmark to each of them! I knew if I posted here I'd get alot of help! Thank you all so very much!

Have a great day everyone!

I know they will be very happy when they receive these from you. Glad you made a choice you feel good about. Hope you are having a good day too:)

Archived