2 Snowflakes

brendaKbrown

I just finished with our local Christmas House, a boutique where all benefits go to the hospital. I had given some snowflakes for the tree and a lady wanted them, but someone beat her to them. She called me and I have no idea what pattern I followed, so I created my own! Sorry there's no picture because I'm blind. Feel free to post a picture of yours, though!

Feel free to use this pattern, but please don't take credit for my work.

ENCHANTED SNOWFLAKE

Size: About 3 inches in diameter.

Materials: Size 10 crochet thread; Steel size 7 crochet hook; tapestry needle; starching supplies.

Picot: Ch3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook.

Ch6, join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.

Rnd 1: Ch1, (sc in ring, ch5) 6 times, join with sl st in first sc.

Rnd 2: Ch1, sc in joining, * (dc, ch3, dc) in nt ch5 sp, sc in nt sc; rep from * around, ending (dc, ch3, dc) in nt ch5 sp, join with sl st in first sc.

Rnd 3: Ch3 (counts as first dc), * (sl st, ch6, sl st in 6th ch from hook, ch8, sl st in 8th ch from hook, ch6, sl st in 6th ch from hook) in nt ch3 sp, dc in nt sc; rep from * around, ending (sl st, ch6, sl st in 6th ch from hook, ch8, sl st in 8th ch from hook, ch6, sl st in 6th ch from hook) in nt ch3 sp, join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch3.

Rnd 4: Ch1, sc in joining, * ch2, (sc, ch3, sc) in nt ch6 lp, ch2, (sc, ch1, dc, picot, dc, ch1, sc) in nt ch8 lp, ch2, (sc, ch3, sc) in nt ch6 lp, ch2 **, sc in nt dc; rep from * around, ending at **, join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off and weave in ends. Starch.

DAINTY SNOWFLAKE

Size: About 3 inches in diameter.

Materials: Size 10 crochet thread; Steel size 7 crochet hook; tapestry needle; starching supplies.

Double Treble Crochet (dtr): Yo 3 times, insert hook in nt st or sp, yo and draw lp through, (yo, draw through 2 lps on hook) 3 times.

Picot: ch4, sl st in 4th ch from hook.

Ch6, join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.

Rnd 1: Ch5, (tr in ring, ch1) 11 times, join with sl st in 4th ch of beg ch5: 12 ch1 sps.

Rnd 2: Ch1, * (sc, ch3, sc) in nt ch1 sp, ch1; rep from * around, join with sl st in first sc.

Rnd 3: Ch1, * (sc, ch3, sc) in nt ch3 sp, ch5, dtr in nt ch3 sp, ch5; rep from * around, join with sl st in first sc.

Rnd 4: Ch1, sl st in first ch3 sp, * ch3, sc in 3rd ch of nt ch5 lp, ch3, (sc, dc, picot, dc, sc) in dtr, ch3, sc in 3rd ch of ch5, ch3, sl st in nt ch3 sp; rep from * around, ending sl st in first sl st instead of beg ch3 sp. Fasten off and weave in ends. Starch.

I hope to finish my current project tonight. If I do, I will try to get these made and post some pictures for you so all can see, they sound really pretty.

I am in awe that you can crochet being blind. I would love to know how you do this. My MIL is 86, a diabetic and her eyesight is failing. She can no longer crochet with thread but does pretty well with worsted weight. I do not mean to be rude or invasive but do you have any words of wisdom I can pass on to her. She really does love to crochet and at times gets very frustrated because she can't see the stitches to well.

I hope I haven't offended you, that is the last thing I would like to do.

God Bless you and thank you very much for the two patterns. I love to make snowflakes, I try to make lots of them since no two snowflakes are supposed to be the same.

Hugs,

Toni

I hope to finish my current project tonight. If I do, I will try to get these made and post some pictures for you so all can see, they sound really pretty.

I am in awe that you can crochet being blind. I would love to know how you do this. My MIL is 86, a diabetic and her eyesight is failing. She can no longer crochet with thread but does pretty well with worsted weight. I do not mean to be rude or invasive but do you have any words of wisdom I can pass on to her. She really does love to crochet and at times gets very frustrated because she can't see the stitches to well.

I hope I haven't offended you, that is the last thing I would like to do.

God Bless you and thank you very much for the two patterns. I love to make snowflakes, I try to make lots of them since no two snowflakes are supposed to be the same.

Hugs,

Toni[/quote

Hi Toni, I don't mind people asking. I learned how to crochet after I lost my sight at the age of 8. I waas about 10 when I learned. I always wanted to work with the crochet thread. but couldn't for a long time. About once a year I would try again, and one day I just did it!

I guess my words of wisdom would be to have you MIL "feel" the stitches now while she can see them and then learn to work by feel. When I first learned how to crochet I couldn't hold my hook the normal way and wrap my yarn the normal way and all of that. i had to hold it the way i could and still feel what I was doing. Eventually I changed to the normal way. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you or she needs any help.]

Thanks so much for sharing your patterns:hug, it makes very nice snowflakes. The ones in the pic haven't been starch, haven't learned how yet. Number 1 is the DAINTY SNOWFLAKE, Number 2 is the ENCHANTED SNOWFLAKE, and Number 3 is the Enchanted Snowflake up until row three then finished off. I thought it made an adorable little snowflake.

Pic is clickable.

th_snowflakes.jpg

Thanks for sharing your patterns, I was able to make three snowflakes with them.:hook:yay

Brenda,

Thanks so much for the response, I will tell my MIL what you said. You are very talented and the snowflakes you made are very beautiful.

Champy Girl, Thanks so much for the pics. They worked up very pretty. It is not hard to starch the snowflakes. There are many methods of stiffening, if you do a search here on the ville you will find many threads about what stiffeners people use and their preferences. I use the sugar/water method, most here seem to prefer 1/2 glue (elmers) mixed with 1/2 water.

All you do is soak the snowflake in the stiffener and then carefully squeeze out the excess water, you then put the snowflake on something like cardboard that you can stick pins into, covered with waxed paper, so they don't stick and shape the snowflake the way you want it. Use RUSTPROOF pins or toothpicks to hold the snowflake in place and let it dry. Once dry it will be very stiff and you can hang them on the tree or do whatever with them. This also works with doilies.

If you don't want them that stiff, you can use spray starch and iron them.

LOL,

Toni

Thanks Champygirl for posting pictures for me. i too liked the one done through Rnd 3, but the size didn't meet my costumers request. I have finished 8 of each in just two days!

I have a friend that starches them for me. My husband used to do it, but he hates starching snowflakes! Ones I've done in the past required upwards of 80 pins to hold them down. I don't think these will. happy crocheting and don't get burried in an avalanch of snowflakes!

Wow! That's amazing! Those snowflakes and beautiful, and I'm in awe that you can create your own pattern without ever seeing it! God has given you an amazing talent and a gift to pass along to others in spite of what may be perceived as a "handicap." Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for all of the wonderful words! My friends call me a visual blind person. If I can visualize it, I can usually make it. Having lost my sight just before turning eight, I have lots of memories, especially of shapes and color. I have crocheted for 30 years now and I can even visualize patterns as I read them, at least most of the time. Often I will try someone else's pattern and then redo it to meet my needs or desires. I guess a lot of us do that. It's not to be disrespectful of someone else's work, but rather to allow our own creativity.

One of my greatest joys is crocheting outfits for dolls. It may sound strange, but often the doll tells me what it wants. I have held a doll and decided on outfit and color only to rip it out againa nd again. Then I hold the doll and ask what it wants. A totally different picture and color will come and within a very short time the outfit is done!

I recently bought a jointed teddy bear at a thrift store. It looked brand new. I brought it home and washed it and put it on my cabinet. Every time I touched it it was in different positions: one arm up, one back, one leg forward, the other one in back and the head was always turned to the side or backwards. I would reposition it only to find it this way again. I finally picked it up, put it's arms and legs down and turned it's head to the front and hugged it. I said, "You don't know what it means to be loved!"

I took it to the couch, made a dress for it and dressed it. I then plunked it on the couch and made a bonnet. When I turned around to pick her up, she was sitting like she should! Ever since she has sat properly like any well-dressed bear should! And now she is off to keep company with a lady who has just undergone a bone marrow transplant.

So, that is the joy my crochet brings me. That and sharing it with others!

Brenda,

Thanks so much for the response, I will tell my MIL what you said. You are very talented and the snowflakes you made are very beautiful.

Champy Girl, Thanks so much for the pics. They worked up very pretty. It is not hard to starch the snowflakes. There are many methods of stiffening, if you do a search here on the ville you will find many threads about what stiffeners people use and their preferences. I use the sugar/water method, most here seem to prefer 1/2 glue (elmers) mixed with 1/2 water.

All you do is soak the snowflake in the stiffener and then carefully squeeze out the excess water, you then put the snowflake on something like cardboard that you can stick pins into, covered with waxed paper, so they don't stick and shape the snowflake the way you want it. Use RUSTPROOF pins or toothpicks to hold the snowflake in place and let it dry. Once dry it will be very stiff and you can hang them on the tree or do whatever with them. This also works with doilies.

If you don't want them that stiff, you can use spray starch and iron them.

LOL,

Toni

I've heard of the sugar water method. How does that not attract ants? Just curious. I want to try it but you can see why I'm apprehensive.

The method I've used and looks really good is straight liquid starch. I've used glue/water and it always makes my stuff look plastic.

Anyway, I was just curious bout the sugar water method.

My friend just finished starching my snowflakes for me and they turned out very nice! She used half glue and half water. They are quite stiff. It's exciting to see the finished product. Now I just hope my customer will be pleased!

Those are so pretty. It makes me feel embrassed that I say I can't use thread because I can't see well enough. I think I may get some thread and a crochet hook in that size and give it a go. Won't be for a while though due to money issues. LOL

Thanks for inspiring me. Or however you spell that.

• 9 months later...
I just finished with our local Christmas House, a boutique where all benefits go to the hospital. I had given some snowflakes for the tree and a lady wanted them, but someone beat her to them. She called me and I have no idea what pattern I followed, so I created my own! Sorry there's no picture because I'm blind. Feel free to post a picture of yours, though!

I'm so glad you had to come up with two new patterns. I have thoroughly enjoyed making both of them. Thank you for both of them.

post-27979-135897440531_thumb.jpg

post-27979-135897440535_thumb.jpg

Thankx alot:), I have been searching for the snow flakes patterns alot.

would you include a picture nxt time plz?

Archived