Computer Help

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I have some patterns saved to my computer that I would like to put on a disc. I have NO IDEA how to do this! Can someone tell me in "Blonde" terms how to do this? :blush Any help would be greatly appreciated! :yes

First - do you have a cd writer on your computer. If so, then select the files you want and right click. There should be an option that says send to. Move your cursor to that, and then you would look for cd or the drive that your cd writer is (C drive is your hard drive, D or E is usally your cd or dvd writer). A wizard should pop up that is pretty self explanitory. If that doesn't work, there are some other options.

Krista

When you say 'saved on your computer', in what format? Are they in word (or another word processing format)? Or are they web pages saved in your favorite places/bookmarks.

If they are web pages, you will have to copy and save them into a word processing program or somesuch first.

As long as they are in a word processing program, you would save them exactly as you did the first time into that program, except you will be choosing a different source.

Open the pattern is open and on your screen, make sure your disk is in your disk drive, click on 'file', 'save page as', and then instead of saving it to a folder on your C: (hard) drive, you would click the arrow in the box at the top where it says 'save in' and look at what is available there. When you put your disk in it may have come up and told you what it was, it should be a letter (higher than C).

Choose the proper drive and it should pop up into that window, then click the 'save' button at the lower right.

Ohhhh ~ Thank you SO much! They are all saved in My Documents so I guess that is the C drive? They are all in PDF format...does that matter? So all I would do then is click on the file, hit Save As, pull down the drop down box and chose the D drive? Yes I do have a CD/Disc writer on my computer. I'm gonna give this a shot today...thanks gals for your help! :hug

Kitty Lover,

When you open my documents, you will see the files. All you need to do is hold down the control key without lettting it go and click on each file you want to save to disc. Each file will be highlighted. When you have selected each file, let go of the control key.

In the upper right corner of my documents you will see "copy the selected items" . Click on this and it will bring up box that shows your computer files. Click on my computer to open that folder (if it is not already open) and you will see your disc drive. Highlight your disc drive and select copy.

A copy files wizard will come up, follow the instructions and ta da, you have backed up your files on disc.

Be sure to label the disc using a soft marker, store in a plastic case and it will last forever.

This is a faster way than opening each file inividually and using save as.

Don't be scared, it is real easy to do. I do it all the time. :manyheart

Let us know how it works out,

Toni

If you have a lot of patterns and/or plan to collect more, you might want to get a flash drive (like one of these http://www.amazon.com/USB-Flash-Drives-Storage-Add-Ons/b?ie=UTF8&node=3151491). Flash drives hold more data than CD-ROMs, are more durable and can be used on any computer with a USB port (even if the CD drive is not working). Flash drives can be bought anywhere that sells computer supplies.

If you decide to go the CD-ROM route, make sure you get CD-RW discs so you can add to the disc if you need to (CD-R let you put data on it only once).

As for copying the data, I find it easier to do in Windows Explorer. Just highlight the files you want to copy (from the right side of the window) and drag them to the appropriate drive (listed in the left side of the window).

If you go to the post that is a few up...written by Southpaw...click on that link and it's the first one on the Amazon site that I ordered. It's green and white. Ummmm...any idea where I would find my USB port? :blush

What kind of computer do you have? Is it a laptop or a tower type and what brand name and model is it?

If you have the documentation that came with the computer it will show you where the USB ports are. They are about 1/2" wide by 1/4" high and the USB cable will just plug into them.

Laptops usually have them on the sides or in the back. The tower type computers usually have them in the back. Some of the newer ones do have a USB port on the front though also.

LOL,

Toni

Most towers have 2 on the front and 2 on the back, but some only have them on the back. Just look for a rectangular port that matches the size and shape of the outlet on your jump drive. It will NOT have prongs in it. The ones that match should be it, but there is an up and a down.

Up and down = like this:

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/e/es/esunghee/10223_usb_port.jpg

See the white part? It makes it go in one way only.

As to finding the port, be sure to look for 'hidden' doors on the front. Some models have that. My FIL's is at the bottom of his tower and you can barely tell it's there. It takes a gentle push in to make it pop open.

Yeah, and its nice becuase the Driver is built in to most of them...so there's nothing to "install" - it does it automatically. And, with a flash drive, you can make a cool cozie for it, or slip it into your hook caddy so its right where you need it.

Up and down = like this:

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/e/es/esunghee/10223_usb_port.jpg

See the white part? It makes it go in one way only.

As to finding the port, be sure to look for 'hidden' doors on the front. Some models have that. My FIL's is at the bottom of his tower and you can barely tell it's there. It takes a gentle push in to make it pop open.

Thank you for the clarification! I'm getting a little scared about the whole thing now. Maybe I'm just making it way more complicated than it is!

Deb,

Don't Panic!! They are really easy to use. All you do is plug it into the USB port and then copy the stuff just like you did to the CD only you will copy to the USB drive.

I have done it a bunch of times and it is really really simple. You will understand completely once you get your drive. It is really hard to visualize until you actually have the gizmo in your hand.

LOL,

Toni

Deb,

Don't Panic!! They are really easy to use. All you do is plug it into the USB port and then copy the stuff just like you did to the CD only you will copy to the USB drive.

I have done it a bunch of times and it is really really simple. You will understand completely once you get your drive. It is really hard to visualize until you actually have the gizmo in your hand.

LOL,

Toni

I'm banking on it being easy Toni! Sure hope you're right! I'll let everyone know how I do...the flash drive hasn't arrived yet...maybe today?

Archived