Nursing home ideas

handcraftedinala

A friend of mine is bringing some goodies to a nursing home for Christmas. i would like to make a few things to give to her to bring as well. Any ideas of what is most needed? I don't have much time so I am looking for smaller things to make.

I thought of fingerless gloves and maybe shawls. Also, what colors do you think?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Charissa

shawls to wrap their shoulder with....not just for females. We have quite a few sundowners that sit up in the evening and quite often most of the night. Often house blankets cover them up and drag on the ground, shawls/wraps are more managable for them and staff

Bright eyeglass cases is an awesome idea! something everyone can see patient and busy staff! Mybe even bright colored hearing aide pouches.

small pillows for behind the neck or help to position like between knees, lower back etc, I don't know how many rolled towels I've used over the years

small bags to put their treasures in that can fit between them and the side of the wheelchair, something to keep candies, glasses and such in

Little things mean a LOT to someone in long term care. Pillows to support an arm or leg, shawls, mittens (easier than gloves for gnarled fingers), hats and scarves for going outside, these are all some of the things that make life more comfortable.

I would like to help with your project but I have a question. Is it appropriate to donate something like scarves and gloves that are "store bought" as opposed to hand made?? With the holidays fast approaching and committments to other projects, making these items may not be possible but I would be willing to send a few purchased sets and perhaps get a few of the girls here at work to donate. If this is not what you are looking, that is fine. :)

My dad is in a nursing home and my mom is a big crocheter. Capelets are a huge hit at nursing homes! She made 70 capelets one year and the women LOVE them! This year she has a helper--an 80 year old resident of the home. Mom starts the capelet and the lady finishes them. They make a great team! Also, wheelchair totes and walker totes or just a small bag would be useful. Lapghans are always needed and a pocket near the top would be great for Kleenex or glasses. Slippers are great too.

Edited to add: I love the idea of small pillows that was suggested above!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived