"I have a consignment job for you"

Ummm, I never had it put to me in those words. I work in a huge place; I hardly know this person and she heard I'd been teaching a friend of her's. When I said I don't do that, she said "don't you want to make some money on the side?" :eek Argh!!! I offered to teach her (for free) instead. :hook

Some people just don't get it. I tell them I don't make and sell anything, cause it talkes the pleasure out of my hobby and makes it a job.

Good for you to tell her you would teach her.:hook

I don't think I'd be too wild about someone saying that to me. I would listen to the proposal though and determine if it did seem to be a good idea.

Usually anything I make is not for sale. The items I do sell are made in my own time frame, how I like to work, and only because I like making them.

I don't think the verbage was the best, but it sounds like she thought your work was really good and wanted to arrange having you make something for her for money. Depending on what else was involved, I'd have to say other than the compliment, it's great she didn't simply act like you should just make an item for free labor and free yarn!

did she ask you to make things for her to sell? that's what I think of when the word consignment is used.

I would never do that unless she was willing to pay what craft shows consider "retail" as your "wholesale" price.

my salon does sell a few things for me on "consignment". but I brought them to her and she took my price and added her markup to them. I've gotten a few free haircuts for it!

I know how you feel I think. I had a friend who wanted a crocheted treeskirt. She wanted to trade for some other products and -insisted- I tell her the value, so we could make a -fair- trade. :eek I finally told her I would let her know what I thought when I was done making it. I think I am just going to send it to her and refuse to accept anything in return. :lol There is just no way I can put a price, value, anything on the things I do for fun. I have some patterns I've considered selling, but have yet to open my Etsy store. I just don't know that I would enjoy designing anything anymore........

In replying to your replies :) ...this is a huge pet peeve of mine...when someone who doesn't really KNOW you assumes and expects that you'd want to make them something, have the time to make them something, etc. Generally, I respond with "sure...and what will YOU make for me?" which stumps people--and I counter with...I can teach you to make it yourself if you're interested. In this case tho, she didn't see anything I've made so it can't be a compliment to my abilities...only knew I'm teaching a co-worker with whom she is friendly and had a hole to fill in that her daughter is having a baby, lives states away, and wanted to send her a hand made gift...why she'd assume I'm in the business of making/selling "my work" is because she wanted me to be. She is "in the market" for "something" and suggested perhaps a bootie/hat/sweater/blanket set of some sort. If this is what I did, I'd be more than happy to comply...but it isn't and I'm always surprised when people make these assumptions. I'm enthusiastic about crafts...I've taught many co-workers and people in my building to crochet and/or knit in the past year. I love to spread the craft...but I'm not in the business of making/selling stuff. I actually started giving lessons because of this--generally, as many have written in other posts, "customers" who make these assumptions are clueless to the time involved and the price of supplies and usually want "something for nothing", complain about the price charged and it is a hassle all around. I can't be bothered with that. I'd rather teach her to make something, even a simple blanket, herself--and wouldn't that be a more loving gift from her personally than to buy something handmade? Now, if she were family or a good friend, I'd have considered it and would probably do it just for the cost of the supplies....but this? Nope, never.

That's what I don't understand about people who don't craft. They think we're nuts when we say that we don't sell the things we make. Then yo uoffer to teach them and they automaticfally go "oh I'm not crafty like you are." As if that's gonna make me go "Oh golly I think because you gave me such a compliment Ima make you a huge afghan that'll take me 4 months t ofinish..."

The way the person put that wasn't right. I think it's great that you offered to teach her how to make it herself.

Archived