Seraphina & Pineapple

sprtsbear

Question

Just wondering:think Does anyone have ideaskind of yarn to use to make these? I was thinking maybe microspun for the pineapple. Not sure what kind for seraphina. Also how much yarn and what size hook for the pineapple????:help

8 answers to this question

I've actually started the Seraphina out of Sirdar Yo-Yo and plan on making the Pineapple out of Microspun or another color of Sirdar Yo-Yo.

From my own experience, I made a pineapple out of Homespun and a K hook. It took about 4½ skeins of the Homespun. When I made one out of Homespun and a J hook it took almost 4 skeins. The other one I made I used the yarn from a frogged sweater.

I haven't done the Serafina yet.

:frog

I've got 2 of the pineapple shawls that I'm working on right now. One in microspun and one in simply soft. The microspun I'm doing with an "I" I got to row 21 with the first ball but I'm not sure how many total it's going to take. The simply soft is some yarn that I bought by the pound off ebay so can't tell you how much I've used so far, but doing that one with a "J" hook. They're both coming along great.

The Seraphina pattern is adaptable to just about any kind of yarn you might like to make it in, from laceweight (which is what I'm making) all the way up to bulky, such as Homespun. Sock yarns would work great with this pattern too, pick a hook that matches the thickness of the yarn. The thinner the yarn, the smaller your stitches will be so you may need to do more rows to get to the size you want, thus requiring more yarn. I made one out of RH Casual Cot'n and used about 3 skeins (at around 150 yds/sk), my laceweight will have used somewhere in the vicinity of 1500 yards of yarn once it's completed, though it probably would have been fine at around 1200, I just wanted a long shawl.

I haven't tried the pineapple yet, it's on my "to-do" list.

Archived