I am devastated, and probably angrier than I have ever been in my life!

have you checked your trash can? there might be some of your patterns still in there, good luck! I know you're really upset, you poor dear!

HUGS!!!

Linda

from Virginia, USA

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have lost everything I have had on two laptops when they crashed. One the hard drive just self destructed and the second one got a virus from a pop up that is made to look like a Microsoft anit-virus program.

After the first loss, I refuse to store anything of value on the hard drive- I either immediately print the pattern and/or immediately back up onto disc anything I don't want to loose.

I know it is really a pain to always have to be copying each file you want to a disc but it is more of a pain to loose everything.

I usually download pictures from my camera and then put them on disc right away. The thumb drives are a good idea. They are smaller and less expensive than an external hard drive.

I print ALL my patterns! I don't have any of them on the computer. I have this whole file cabinet drawer that is full of the patterns. I do have most of them in folders labeled by category but want to put them in protective sheets one day. I have probably used three or four reams of paper just for the patterns to date.

I have so many "want to do" projects that I could crochet 24 hours a day for the rest of my life and would never get them all done!!! The days need to be longer and less full of "life" so we can all devote more time to our projects!!!!!!!

I hope the computer store can find the deleted items and restore them. I know that they are there, the only way to really remove anything from a computer is to completely reformat the hard drive, you just need to find a geek who knows how to get to it.

It's really unfortunate all the circumstances that lead up to this but if all that didn't occur, you would not have lost the files. I would be as upset as you are. My patterns are one of the things I covet the most. I think I would be more upset if I lost those than my pictures.

Try to keep positive, all of here at the 'ville are with you and will say our prayers to help you get through this tough time. I would think that asking the person who did this to reimburse you the cost of the recovery would not be out of line. He was definately wrong in what he did and more people in this world need to take responsibility for their actions. Everything we do has a consequence, be it good or bad and we all need to be ready to accept that.

We are all with you, please keep up all up to date on your progress, I'm sure your husband is with you on this. It's not his fault, he lost stuff too!

I really love the 'ville and still am amazed that we can talk with and share things with people all over the world like live next door but really do wonder sometimes if computers are all they are cracked up to be. If you are not some technical wizard with them, they seem to cause alot of problems!

God Bless you and all the members here,

Toni

I have lost everything I have had on two laptops when they crashed. One the hard drive just self destructed and the second one got a virus from a pop up that is made to look like a Microsoft anit-virus program.

OMG Toni! That is EXACTLY the one that is infecting my computer! It poped up when I was in Photobucket and it scared me so bad that I started to use it...after all it said Microsoft, right? Luckily I canceled it before it finished so the problems that I am having are minimal. I've ran my McAfee scans 3 times and so far McAfee is catching the virus before it can harm anything. It trys every night during the night sometime because when I get up there's an alert. Tonight I'm going to try shutting down for the night. Maybe after doing that a few times it will quit? I even tried to restore my hard drive but it won't let me go back that far.

Oh by the way, that virus tried again yesterday on my work computer when I was viewing someone else's Photobucket pictures here on the 'ville! So beware ladies!

If it helps I have A bunch of doily patterns too. I can either copy them from the book I have or send you a copy of the magazine. I have some that are out of print too that I have been collecting as well. Some are from my late Grandmother. I'd be happy to share. These are generic patterns for the publics use in case any of you are wondering

I am so sorry for the frustration and heartache over this. We lost a bunch of stuff when we upgraded to XP and we tried everything we could do to recover what we had, but even when some of it was recovered I couldn't open half of what we recovered...

We had a friend who was trying to help us with the XP when she thought she knew what she was doing and hit the wrong button and all the files disappeared...and like I said we got most of them back...but what it was like for us was like she had opened up a file cabinet and the files exploded and scattered...

Anyway, since then we do what we can to back up those things that are really important to us (like the photos and patterns and other important docs.) We may still have a lot of files on the computer, but we try to have a memory stick or at least a rewritable cd or dvd at the ready.

And we don't let friends do anything more than check their email on our computers now. If we have a problem we can't fix ourselves, we get professional help. Lesson learned.

Again I'm so sorry...I collect patterns too, online and off, and with the onlines, I tend to print them out, so that if something happens to my computer, I still have a hard copy...but that's me...

WoW ruins lives. Sorry you had to have first hand experience with that.

That was really stupid of your husband's friend to DELETE everything. He could have made a folder for all desktop items and put it in the my documents so everything was neat and tidy.

have you checked your trash can? there might be some of your patterns still in there, good luck! I know you're really upset, you poor dear!

HUGS!!!

Linda

from Virginia, USA

i second this, check your trash can!

Archived