Do you know what I like about crochet?

Oh yes. And I like to try unexpected things now and again. I made a small rug to go in front of a chair my sister bought and planned to use as "her" chair in her living room. When I finished this little oblong rug, it just needed something more. The plain edge was too plain. She didn't want fringe. A shell edge would be too frilly for her.

Without really thinking about it, I just put the hook back in and began the edge again. This was double strands of worsted weight. I just let my hands work and before I knew it, I was doing a picot edge. Well that got me laughing! This is not the right kind of stitch for double strands of worsted weight, but I liked it! The stitches were too short and too close together, but I could remedy that.

I redid the stitches taller, and put 5 single crochet between them, and it was perfect, just perfect! So I did both ends of the rug with this picot edging, and it turned out to be exactly what the rug needed. The first thing my sister noticed was the edging, and she commented on how much she liked it.

I love the feeling of watching yarn/thread/etc, become something in my hands with my hook.

As I am making a doily it was like a snowflake coming to life ...

As I am making a cap for a grandchild I invision my love covering them from the top down ...

As I am the afghan I can feel myself wrapping the new owner with a hug ...

Crocheting is this to me .. and so much more!

I like the fact that it's so easy to put down and then pick up later on.

Also, it's so exciting to make things that normally you'd have to buy, and not really be that excited over. For instance, we bought a couple of tree skirts years ago from CVS that I wasn't that thrilled over, but we needed them. We always have two Christmas trees -- one large one and one small one on a table, in honor of my mother (we always had a small tree when I was growing up that she always took such joy in decorating every year). I'd love to sometime crochet my own tree skirts, so that it will be exactly what I want, personalized, and attractive to boot.

I just love the creativity of crochet. You can follow a pattern, you can change it, you can make up things and it's all your creation.

The colors of the yarns are just beautiful, and you can make almost anything if you have the inspiration and know the basics.

Crochet is just wonderful.

:manyheart

Archived