How do you test new yarns??

This probably seems like a really stupid question, but I'm curious. I tend to buy the same tried and true yarns over and over. I'm always worried to try to make a project out of a new type of yarn in case it doesn't hold up well or something like that.

Over time I've accumulated a few single lonely balls of yarn to 'test' for both knit and crochet. How do you test out new yarns? Do you use only the recommended hook/needles to check for gauge? Do you keep swatching until you match gauge? Do you make multiple sample stitch types up to test? Do you make duplicates and wash / dry in different ways?

I'd appreciate any advice and suggestions so I don't overcomplicate it and yet don't miss out on something important!!! :manyheart

Thank you!! :yarn

This probably seems like a really stupid question, but I'm curious. I tend to buy the same tried and true yarns over and over. I'm always worried to try to make a project out of a new type of yarn in case it doesn't hold up well or something like that.

Over time I've accumulated a few single lonely balls of yarn to 'test' for both knit and crochet. How do you test out new yarns? Do you use only the recommended hook/needles to check for gauge? Do you keep swatching until you match gauge? Do you make multiple sample stitch types up to test? Do you make duplicates and wash / dry in different ways?

I'd appreciate any advice and suggestions so I don't overcomplicate it and yet don't miss out on something important!!! :manyheart

Thank you!! :yarn

I have never been one to do anything in a small way, so I've never bought test yarn for anything. I have always just jumped in with both feet and bought whatever it was I needed for whatever project it was and gone ahead and made it. If the yarn turned out to be something that I hated working with, the yarn went into my stash and the project became an eternal UFO. If the yarn was REALLY hard to work with I'd use it in projects where I only had to use small amounts of it so it didn't get to be a chore to work with it again.

LOL Elle and nodding in agreement! I like to just pick a yarn for project, then if it doesn't work out, deep-six the bag it's in for a few years, then canibalize the yarn for something else. Sometimes the whole 'didn't work out, stash the bag' repeats a few times and the yarn gets spread out in the stash graveyard. It eases the pain of the yarn cost better when you only run across a skein at a time!

I swatch using the recommended hook first. I make a chain of a dozen or so sts and sc back along it. I do 2 or 3 rows of sc, then change to hdc and do a couple rows. I change to dc and do a couple rows. On top of that I shell across to see if I like it for an edging.

This only takes a few minutes and tells me a lot. By the end of the first row, I usually know if I am going to change the hook size and sometimes I do it right then or during the next row or two. I find out how it looks and feels in a number of sts and in my favorite edging. I learn if I am going to like working with it and can get into a crochet rhythm or not.

I find it's best to swatch a little because sometimes I surprise myself.

When I first tried chenille, I wasn't too sure about it because it doesn't stretch, so I had to be pretty precise with the sts in order to get back into them in the next row. I swatched it in sc then put it down. I didn't take it apart. I went back to it a couple more times, and it kind of grew on me. Now I love it.

When I tried Homespun, ugh. It was awful. To be fair, I gave it a second try, but I still had a horrible time with it, so I gave it away. I figure there's so many yarns today, what is the point of struggling with this one type and hating it when I could be making something I love?

When I recently tried Peaches & Creme 100% Cotton, I thought I'd be using an H hook. I wanted to make facecloths in sc, so that when I hold one up to "steam" my face for a minute, my fingernails won't come through to my face. Ha, ha, ha! I discovered I have to use an F hook to have tight enough sts. Nothing like a fingernail surprise!

So swatching is actually a big help and doesn't take that long.

I have never been one to do anything in a small way, so I've never bought test yarn for anything. I have always just jumped in with both feet and bought whatever it was I needed for whatever project it was and gone ahead and made it. If the yarn turned out to be something that I hated working with, the yarn went into my stash and the project became an eternal UFO. If the yarn was REALLY hard to work with I'd use it in projects where I only had to use small amounts of it so it didn't get to be a chore to work with it again.

:yes I am the same way,I never buy test yarn. If I see it and like it, I buy it , and make something with it. If it doesnt work out, it gets frogged and used for something else.

I think it is really hard to know how a yarn will wear over time, so I don't have a great answer for that. You can find some reviews at Knitters Review and on Ravelry, if you are on that, that might help. Or post here and ask what experience others have had with the yarn. Yarndex has info and some comments. I've also tried googling the name of the yarn, and look under "more" for blog entries about the yarn...sometimes people write quite a bit about their experiences in their blogs.

I always swatch before I start anything--other than doilies where size doesn't really matter and I'm probably using familiar thread (also since I don't actually USE doilies, they won't need to be washed much ;) ). For gauge, i think you have to use whatever size hook works best for you. And I make the swatch big enough to really be a sample, like 6" x6". I think it's really important to wash and dry the swatch as the finished article will be washed and dried. I really enjoy swatching and just playing with the yarn.

To me, it is very much worth it to buy a single ball of yarn to try it out. I really do not like having yarn I dislike hanging around taking up space and reminding me how I wasted my money, so I'd much rather buy a single ball to try before committing to buying a lot of it.

I never test yarn, but if I find its too hard to work with it usually is given to my mom...whom can knit with anything, or I will knit up a scarf with it or something, or it gets tossed under the bed to see if I can use it later. I have become a fan of returning yarn too, because otherwise it will probably get tossed in the trash a year later =/

I usually stick to acrylics anyhow, just keeps it simple =)

ditto on the homespun...I can only knit with it and even then I have to use plastic/wood needles.

Thank you for the good ideas so far. I appreciate them!! :)

I try to test yarns because I have to make my pennies and dollars stretch! For the most part I have a very limited budget to supply my hobbies, so I try to buy when I find stuff on sale or clearance. Of course, part of the problem is I don't always know if it's worth buying!

For instance, I went to Missouri this summer, and got to stop at Hobby Lobby and bought one ball each of "I love this yarn" in worsted and sport weight. It was quite a bit more pricey than I've seen it listed on the internet, so I want to test it before I invest in a bulk purchase and shipping cost.

If I give a gift with a yarn I never tried and it holds up badly, I end up getting these doe-eyed looks and hints to the effect of 'wouldn't I make a replacement??' :think

For instance, I went to Missouri this summer, and got to stop at Hobby Lobby and bought one ball each of "I love this yarn" in worsted and sport weight. It was quite a bit more pricey than I've seen it listed on the internet, so I want to test it before I invest in a bulk purchase and shipping cost.

Just to let you know, I personally like working with ILTY but I was very disappointed in the way it looks after washing--had to add a lot of fabric softener to restore the nice feel (and I do have a water softener for our MO hard water). so i would definitely wash it as you think the recipient will and see how you think it turns out.

Archived