Do you have any crochet regrets?

My paternal grandmother taught me to crochet when I was about 8. I crocheted for years off and on.

My regret is that she died about 3 years back, and I never made her a single thing.

She crocheted an afghan for every birth and wedding in the family, all the way down to her first 2 great great grandchildren. Hundreds of afghan's alone just for birth's and weddings. She was an amazing woman.

My goal is to make things for everyone in the family.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only regret that I have is that there never seems to be enough time in a day to do everything that I need to do AND find time to put in some serious rows on whatever I am working on.

I live in Florida and it's usually hot most of the year. Our home has a window air conditioner that eats up the electricity and makes so much noise I'd rather sit in front of the fan than run it. My crocheting of choice is afghans and most of my patterns are for 1 big piece. I am currently trying to get back in to the piecework ones to see if I can do that even during the over 90 degree days during spring and summer.

If I could take my family, our animals and our jobs and move them up north a ways where it cools down but is still beautiful all the time, I would be in heaven.

I was taught how to crochet when I was about 7 by my math teacher. My mother felt she couldn't teach me anything (she crochets a lot) so I learnt most of it by trial and error. Around age 17 I made my first ripple afghan for my then boyfriend (and fiancee eventually) and he loved it. I was hooked (no pun intended).

Now my hands and wrists hurt a lot with arthritis and fibromyalgia so I regret wasting all that time of sitting doing nothing when I could have been creating the next masterpiece in my collection.:crocheting

My biggest crochet regret was stopping for a period of 15+ years. If I had kept going I could have had a lot more things done, but more importantly, I could have gotten that much more enjoyment out of life. But there are no do-overs in life, so I have to put it behind me and keep going, and promise myself that I will not ever go through a dry spell like that again. :)

I regret not having enough money for such a wonderful thing to do. There are so many beautiful yarns and wools here in germany from silk to alpaca and I never have the money for anything other than acrylic. I just can't spend 5 dollars for 50 gramms of yarn on such a tight budget.

But I promise to save money and buy enough wonderful yarn to make something beautiful for myself.

:crocheting

I regret having thrown away all my older patterns. It was during the time of my life when I thought I wouldn't crochet again. I had a lot of doily and snowflake patterns, and I had a TON of the "Crochet Patterns" magazines.

Archived