Crocheting with more than one skein........?

Have any of you ever crocheted with more than one skein of yarn at once? I am making a cross afghan and you have to change colors and you cant carry the colors, so for each section you have to use a seperate skein of yarn. I am using 3 skeins of yarn right now at once. I have adjusted the pattern, if I didnt I would be using 5 at once. This is my first time doing this. Any tips or suggestions? It is a pain to do but I think the results will be worth it. I was just wondering if any one experiance with this and maybe have some tips or suggestions. The pattern is from a book and not online. I am making it as part of the crochet games, and it really has proven to be a challenge for me.

When I was doing that for small squares, I used safety pins to hold small balls of each color to the wrong side of the work, and would just pick them up as I went along, maybe you can make more manageable size balls of the color in the middle, but then you'll have more ends to work in so it's a trade off. Good Luck!

you can get some plastic "bobbins" to wrap smaller amounts of yarn around.( you can buy them at most craft stores) or you could use empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls. i hope you have a great time with your afghan! good luck!

Have any of you ever crocheted with more than one skein of yarn at once? I am making a cross afghan and you have to change colors and you cant carry the colors, so for each section you have to use a seperate skein of yarn. I am using 3 skeins of yarn right now at once. I have adjusted the pattern, if I didnt I would be using 5 at once. This is my first time doing this. Any tips or suggestions? It is a pain to do but I think the results will be worth it. I was just wondering if any one experiance with this and maybe have some tips or suggestions. The pattern is from a book and not online. I am making it as part of the crochet games, and it really has proven to be a challenge for me.

The only time I have had to do this was about 25 years ago when I crocheted an argyle sweater for my ex-husband. The way I did it was to roll small amounts of the other colors onto cardboard bobbins. It worked really well and made things much easier. I loved making that sweater, in fact, when we divorced, I went through his clothes and pulled it out and hid it so he couldn't take it with him! I still have it! My DH wears it, he knows its history, and he doesn't care because he loves how toasty warm it is! :lol

Make bobbins, watch how you change colors. For example, the white bobbin would be on your left, the red bobbin in the middle and the blue on your right. When you drop the blue make sure it stays on the right, when you pick up the red and so on, try and keep the bobbins seperated. If they get twisted, undo them as you go. I have worked with 16 bobbins at one time. It will take time, but you can do it. :hook

When you turn your work at the end of the row, alternate the direction you turn each time each time. That way, the bobbins/skeins will never be more than 'once crossed'.

You could get a box, doesn't have to be fancy, put your skeins in it, poke holes in the box for the yarn to draw through. This will also help curtail the tangles, but might not be necessary with only 3 colors. If you use the box, when you turn your work, turn the box and the threads will never cross.

When you turn your work at the end of the row, alternate the direction you turn each time each time. That way, the bobbins/skeins will never be more than 'once crossed'.

You could get a box, doesn't have to be fancy, put your skeins in it, poke holes in the box for the yarn to draw through. This will also help curtail the tangles, but might not be necessary with only 3 colors. If you use the box, when you turn your work, turn the box and the threads will never cross.

This is exactly what I did. When I turn my work I also turn the box. So far I havent tangled the skeins. Makes it much easier.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I appreciate it.

When I was doing that for small squares, I used safety pins to hold small balls of each color to the wrong side of the work, and would just pick them up as I went along, maybe you can make more manageable size balls of the color in the middle, but then you'll have more ends to work in so it's a trade off. Good Luck!

This is what I did, and put the balls in plastic bags. It really helped with the crazy quilt kingsized bedspread I made.

Archived