True and tried baby(girl) pattern

crochetfun

Question

I am looking for a good pattern for a baby girl. To be on the safe side, I'd like to make a 1 yr. size. It could be a sweater, dress, whatever. Something that you have already made and would recommend.

Thanks for any help in advance.:)

13 answers to this question

Are you looking for a free online pattern? I have a Leisure Arts Book with a couple cute sweaters in it and I use the same patterns over and over again. If you want the name, I'll get the book out. (I'm a little lazy right now:blush )

Are you looking for a free online pattern? I have a Leisure Arts Book with a couple cute sweaters in it and I use the same patterns over and over again. If you want the name, I'll get the book out. (I'm a little lazy right now:blush )

Thanks,

Free online sounds about right. If there isn't a good one, there is time to try others. (that is why I wrote 12 mos. size, I am trying to keep it safe)

By the way, we all deserve a lazy evening:)

I will be honest, most of the free baby patterns I've found online aren't worth the ink and paper I use up to print them out. They make me wonder if the people writing them have ever so much as held a real baby! There's not a single pattern I've not had to redo in some way, whether using a larger yarn than called for or what have you (not to mention the fact that almost none of them have a gauge on the pattern) in order to get it to actually fit a human rather than a doll. (And I dearly hope someone comes along with a link to a pattern that works as-is.)

The simplest thing to do is design your own. It's a bit intimidating if you have never done it before, but in reality it's simple mathematics. Best of all is if you can measure the baby in question, or a finished garment with the wearing ease you like. You'll need to measure her tummy, the width of her shoulders, the length from the base of her spine to her waist, & waist to knee. (That's the simplest.) You'll also need to know your gauge for the hook and yarn combination you intend to use (I know from experience that with a G-hook & sport weight yarn I get 4sts and 4 rows to the inch in sc; but I seem to have a tighter tension than normal). Then it's a matter of figuring out how many stitches you'll need to get the appropriate measurements (I learned the hard way that you're going to want to add at least 1/2" to the circumference of your dress for wearing ease). For instance, if I needed a piece that was 5 inches long and 10 inches wide, then I'd need 20 rows of 40 stitches.

I think one of the first--if not the first--dresses I ever designed had a granny square bodice. I used the hook and yarn I wanted and made one granny square, then measured it--I think it was 3 inches on a side. So the bodice was 2 rows of 4 squares (front only; back was the same), with 1 granny square on top to help form armholes. Sort of like:

44.jpg

So when I measured the square, what I did was take the measurements and figure out how many squares I'd need for the desired measurements. As you can see, this setup made for a bodice 24" in total circumference and six inches deep (actually 9" over all if you account for the "straps"). That's a good size for an 18-month-old. For the skirt I switched to a larger hook and crocheted around the bottom of the bodice in the granny stitch I'd used for the squares, and just did rows of that until it was long enough for my daughter.

The shape you see in the little picture up there is the easiest to do, since it doesn't require shaping. It's not that shaping is really hard, it's that I'm lazy. ;) My advice would be to make that shape in a basic stitch like DC or HDC (you can do them in back loops only for a sort of ribbed look), and then use a fancier stitch, like a shell stitch, to make a skirt.

If you don't want to make your own patterns, I'd highly recommend spending $20 on a high-quality pattern book like Candy Babies or Candy Tots by Candi Jensen or Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies by Jane Davis. All three of those books have not only clear patterns and photos, but also diagrams with the different measurements, like this one from Candy Babies:

45.jpg

I am a fan of these diagrams because they make it that much easier for me to make yarn substitutions. (Using the pattern stitch & the given measurements enables you to come up with something that looks very much like the given garment, but is maybe a bit easier.) A book with diagrams also gives you a good idea of what garments you design on your own should measure.

Sorry this post was so long. I hope you can find something in it that will be helpful.

Thank you for your detailed response, Sabra.:)

I have used one free baby pattern before just to practice how to make a top.

It was in ww. I found it to be clumsy for a newborn size. That is why I was asking for a "true and tried" pattern.

I suppose it may be "easier" in a way to experiment with a top, or just take the real easy way out and make a blanket.

Unfortunately, this baby is on the other side of the globe, so measuring is out.

Thanks again, I am sure many others found your response helpful.

Well, if you look at the diagram up there, the middle set of numbers are for 12-mos size. ;)Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies gives the following measurements for a 12-month-old:

Head circumference: 19"

Chest circumference: 20"

Back of neck to hip length: 12"

Waist to ankle length: 16"

Crotch to ankle length: 10"

Sleeve length: 14"

Hope that helps some more. If you can get ahold of a finished garment in 12-mos size to measure, that would probably help a lot too. When I made my older daughter's baptismal dress, I based it off the measurements of a store-bought dress. :)

One tried and true pattern is the little purple sweater on the front cover of http://www.leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=2954&search=1 One Skein Bazaar. I've made several and they work up quickly and look really sweet!

Lauri

Crochetfun, I have this booklet if you want it. PM me with your address and I'll get it in the mail to you.

Thanks everyone for your help. Lauri:I love the crochetparadise pattern, too. (mind you that baby is so pretty, she could "sell" any pattern.)

Easy Baby sweater is really cute, I'll keep that in mind for the future, it's good to know that it is a workable pattern. (microspun would scare me though)

Cheryl: thanks for your kind offer, I appreciate it:)

As it turned out I had to come up with a gift on shorter notice than I expected, so no baby crochet for me for a while:(

(I was actually looking forward to it)

Archived