Red Scarf Project 2009

moonspinners

Many of us have jumped in wholeheartedly for this project before. Here is all the info you need for the Orphan Foundation's Red Scarf Project 2009. Important to note that only FIVE (5) scarves maximum per crocheter/knitter be donated and that they be unisex collegiate.

VERY IMPORTANT: scarves are accepted only from September 1, 2008 through October 31, 2008.

So c'mon, everyone! Let's see how many of us can contribute to this great project. :hook

I thought just like with the Special Olympics including the guidelines for making the scarves here in addition to the web link would be helpful:

Scarf Size: Approximately 60" long and 5" to 8" wide. Scarves should be long enough to be wrapped around the neck, with tails long enough to be tied in the front.

Style: Think unisex collegiate. Ask yourself if your son, brother, and/or husband would enjoy receiving the scarf. Fringes are optional. Your scarf should drape and tie easily.

Yarn: Preferably DK, double fingering-weight, worsted weight, or light bully yarns. No laceweight, super-chunky, or mohair yarns as there are many people who find mohair too itchy. The yarn should be soft.

Color: Red! However, this could mean burgundy, cherry, russet, red stripes with other colors, or multicolor hues including red. Other unisex colors, including black, navy, teal, olive or gold are also welcome.

Finished and tagged: Yarn ends should be securely sewn in. For a personal touch, attach a tag saying "Handmade for You" with your first name, city, and group affiliation, if any. Donors have also included washing instructions, messages of encouragement, gift cards, burger bucks, books of stamps, etc.

The submission period for the next Red Scarf initiative is set for September 1 through October 31, 2008. Scarves should be sent to:

Orphan Foundation of America

The Red Scarf Project

21351 Gentry Drive

Sterling, VA 20166

Please limit donations to no more than five scarves from any one person or organization. Thank you!

thanks for the posting..I just finished one...its a ribbed pattern ..good for guy or gal...there is a limit this year to 5 scarves because last year they were overwhelmed with scarves which is pretty wonderful for them...:hook

Here is a pattern link if you like it works up very even ,thank you happy yellow house..........http://www.happyyellowhouse.com/htm/ribbed.html

• 3 weeks later...
I think with it getting closer to October this might need to get bumped up... it sounds like an interesting cause and 5 scarves is easy to make...

Thanks. :hug

I was just thinking this weekend after I finish the Special Olympics scarf I'm working on I better switch to the Red Scarves since the deadline is much sooner!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived