round ripple borders?????

know there are lots on them on the ville and in certain "cals", but u just have to scroll around so much....thought it would be easier if we had a place to just list certain tried and true borders (with some instructions, please)

i just LOVE borders on projects because it makes them look COMPLETE!!

thanks!!!

In the past, I have done a simple border on a round ripple.

Using a contrasting color, slip stitch it on to the blanket. chain one and then slip stitch into the next stitch. It gives it a pretty finished lood and it's very easy.

Or you can do two chains and then the slip stitch. It gives it a little bumpy edge to it

Reverse single crochet works well.

I have also used a simple cluster edging. Slip stitch the new yarn on to the blanket, skip one stitch and then do five dc's into the next stitch skip one stitch and then slip stitch into next stitch and continue.

I hope these edges give you some ideas. Just play around with it until you get the right one for your afghan. I do that a lot.

:manyheart

do u do a round of sc first? and what about the "peaks" on a round ripple? what do u do here? and what about the "valleys"? what do u do here?

thanks

When doing a shell border...I shell in the middle of the peak and i sc or ss in the valley (usually sc) - if i need to i fudge the stitches so it works out okay. I do a shell in the center stitch of the peak, skip the rest of the peak stitches and do a sc, skip a stitch, do a shell, skip one, do sc and so on. if i get to the valley and have an extra stitch to get there i just skip it too (or if there isnt enough stitches, i dont skip one) is this clear as mud?

One one RR I did, I made the final dc row making one stitch with one color and the next stitch with another color. I used two colors and did that all the way around, then used one of the colors to make a picot edge. It turned out really nicely.

1a_bananaberry2.jpg

Wow thats gorgeous!

I've done two RR's and I used a crab stitch on each - it was the first time I'd done a crab stitch and as mentioned it is tricky at first..

I find it helps me to crochet *up* rather than across -

Meaning, Instead of holding my blanket so that I'm working straight across, I turn the blanket so that i'm working moving away from me..

I think it helps the stitch fall the right way..

(does this make sense?)

Archived