spinners?

RebeccaVelasquez

I've been bad about posting my work lately.

I am absolutly in love with the new wheel (Lendrum DT)

I'm crocheting a modified Chelle Jewel shawl with my first full batch from the wheel. It's a thick/thin single from "mystery" roving which is mostly wool, mohair and silk noil. Predominant color is grey with bright flecks of many colors mixed in. This will be the first item I've made from my own spun yarn. :cheer It looks great so far (I'm about 1/3 done) What will be the real test is when I wash it :eek I did set the twist & block it, but I want to make sure it holds it shape as a garment before I go to far with anything else.

If that's a go, I have a pound of heavenly slate blue Cheviot I've spun (still a single, but more consistant size, pretty close to worsted weight) that will also be perfect for a shawl.

I'm kicking myself because I have time to post today, but I left my camera at work so I can't show you anything until the weekend:oops

Holly

I'm spinning, trying to learn how to spin more fine/consistently on my Lendrum.

The most recent spinning is this olive colonial I bought a while back:

DSC_2252.thumb.jpg

It's quite fine right now. I really want to spin 3-ply sock yarn so I'm working on spinning relatively consistent, thin singles. Right now I'm having an easier time spinning thin from the fold rather than long draw. Not sure why, I just seem to have better control.

I am still spinning.. jsut not as much cause i have been consumed with knitting.. but .. i did recieve some fabulous merino tencel I am dying to get my hands in .. so that is probably this weekend ..

Ohh, where did you order the merino/tencel from? That's next up on my list of things to spin. I think once I finish spinning up my current olive stuff I might try my silk + camel that I got at MD S+W.

[i'm a bit knitting-obsessed right now, too. I did my best kitchenered toe yet last night. You can't tell there's a seam there! Kitchener is awesome. ]

man oh man! i'm so jealous... my knitting is still dishcloths :blush

I'm not sure what it was, but once I started actually knitting socks (instead of dishcloths/squares), I seemed to learn a lot more on keeping my knit/purl tension the same and on increasing and decreasing and shaping.

I still need to learn other cast-on methods, though. I just hate that part (same with crochet - I hate the initial chain).

Jess..

i actually won that roving in a little virtual raffle but it came from ...

Deep Color Studio

will post a pic in just a little while..

and Rebecca..

I just jumped into knitting.. I am doing a bag right now and I have a tube type thing on my circs.. i never did dishcloth one..LOL.. but that is just me I jump right in .. the first thing i ever finished in knit was my devil hat..

Baaaaaad :2sheep Elizabeth.

No posting links with awesome (ewesome???) fiber prices like that.

I'm sick and feeling sorry for myself and now I'm just goin to have to order something :devil

Seriously, I"d love to see a pic of the fiber you got from there. They seem to have a great selection and very reasonable prices.

Holly

Elizabeth, those rovings are to dye for.

I am sorta still spinning. haven't done much lately and actually thought about pulling "Joy" out yesterday. Walked into my room sat on the bed and fell asleep. So...between crocheting, knitting, and life...I don't have the time for all my stuff anymore. WAH!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of spinning about 1 pound and a half of jet black Merino, to knit helmet hats for me nephews' EOD Unit...before they leave for Iraq in December.

Now; if you think it's hard to KNIT with black.....try spinning BLACK ! :thair It's a nightmare ! My "good" light recently died; and the only way I can get enough light to see what tiny bits of vm that are in this, is to sit outside in the sunshine ! But the heat makes it slide thru the fingers easier !

I have an Ashford Traditional wheel, circa 1969; and just recently aquired a Norwegian wheel.....and get this...when I took it all apart to clean and feed the wood, I found a date on an inside piece...in pencil-- 1854 ! WOW !! What a find ! I only paid 80 bucks for it !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am Deb, I just joined the group. I have been spinning for 21 years, way longer than I should admit. I would be glad to help with any questions that I can. The link is to my blog, a photo of the rovings I dye.

http://dudleyspinner.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_dudleyspinner_archive.html

and what I have been spinning

http://dudleystiedyerovings.blogspot.com/2005/06/dudleys-handspun-yarn.html

Deb

Archived