Is this true regarding thread substitution?

JillD

I just read somewhere (can't remember where) that you can use size 8 or 12 thread in place of any size 10 thread. Is this true?

I was going to do some crocheted edging on some socks for a friend's daughters and I have a better color selection in the Perle cotton balls in size 8 or 12 than I do in size 10 thread.

Thanks.

Actually, in my experience, the perle cotton (esp anchor an dmc) use a different numbering system and 8 is slightly finer than size 10 crochet cotton) Just to make things confusing I guess. and the 12 is even finer...between size 20 and 30 from what I've read elsewhere)

I guess it's like the steel (thread) hooks number system verses the yarn hooks ABC system (bigger number, smaller steel hook, "bigger" letter, bigger hook) or all those different sized "G" hooks :P

HTH

I've used the size 8 perle cotton on a doily I tested for katchkan. It came out (obviously) slightly smaller than with size 10 thread, but it was easy to work with...and you're right--there are a ton of great colors and shades in it. I've used it for bookmarks and other stuff too...it's fun.

Actually, in my experience, the perle cotton (esp anchor an dmc) use a different numbering system and 8 is slightly finer than size 10 crochet cotton) Just to make things confusing I guess. and the 12 is even finer...between size 20 and 30 from what I've read elsewhere)

I guess it's like the steel (thread) hooks number system verses the yarn hooks ABC system (bigger number, smaller steel hook, "bigger" letter, bigger hook) or all those different sized "G" hooks :P

HTH

I've used the size 8 perle cotton on a doily I tested for katchkan. It came out (obviously) slightly smaller than with size 10 thread, but it was easy to work with...and you're right--there are a ton of great colors and shades in it. I've used it for bookmarks and other stuff too...it's fun.

I agree - my experience is that size 5 perle is closest to size 10 mercerised cord thread, slightly larger and softer, size 8 is a bit finer than size 10 and size 12 is more along the lines of size 20 or finer.

The perle is not as tightly spun as the standard threads, so it can be easier to split and is a bit softer, but I actually quite like it in some of my work - and it does tend to have a more interesting range of colours...

Cheers,

They are correct on the sizing, The thing to remember on the perle cotton thread, is thet it is a 2 ply thread compared to the normal 3 ply of most size 10 threads. Nor is is twisted as tight. So yes it has more of a tendancy to split. But it is useable if you so desire. I personally prefer a 3 ply thread, but the colors are tempting at times and have used it on occasion to get just the right look for a piece.

Archived