joining squares question?

I am working on my first granny, here are a few of the squares...

I am using Hobby Lobby's I love this yarn in Seaspray stripe (varigated) and light blue for the squares and I am planning on using grape to join. The squares are 8 in. The patterns are a dishcloth pattern from the bernat website, as well as a pattern called another granny in the middle, I think this one was at crochet pattern central but not positive. In some of the squares I am using the first 3 rounds from the dishcloth pattern and then the remaining rounds from the another granny in the middle. Some of the squares have the first three rounds of a free pattern on lily s&c website with the remaining rounds being another granny in the middle.

My question is what method to use for joining?? What are your favorites? and what would compliment the squares? I would like a method that doesn't involve sewing if possible. Thanks for reading my ramblings as well as any advice:). I know I can always get lots of good advice here.

DSCN4704-2.jpg

With joining you have a lot of options. Mostly it is a personal preference. I really like the flat braid joining. It gives it a one piece look. It doesn't look like each piece was done and attached individually, it looks like you made the whole afghan in one piece. Here is a tutorial for a corner joining method using the flat braid joining method.

You could sc or sl st them together. I know you didn't want to sew but you could always go to whipstitching them together too.

Good Luck! I would love to see the finished product. Great job!

I've never tried this method before. I think that if I ever get around to putting together the squares I've been making for a bedspread I'll use this method as it does look really nice. Thanks for the idea, Midds

Depending on which method you use, the final round of each square may be different. With the flat braid, you will have that lacy look. With sc together, you'll have a more solid look.

If you single crochet them together, there are lots of choices. You can work with RS together, or with WS together, through the front loops only, or through the back loops only. You may want to use a contrasting color to show up the seams and make them part of the design, or use that turquoise solid to make it blend in a bit. If using a contrasting color, I'd suggest working the final round of each square in that color to unify the design, before seaming.

Edie Eckman

I was thinking of either the flat braid or the "dude assembly" but didn't know a) how complicated either one is to do or b)if I could actually pull it off. Definitely not used piecing them together, I have mostly worked my ghans in one piece. Thanks for the advice, I like the idea of going around each square with the joining color, sounds like it will make it look more polished and uniformlike it fit. Thanks everyone for the advice, will have to play around with it a bit and see what works the best.:)

• 4 weeks later...

mva, how is the joining going? I would like to do a granny square ghan too, and I also don't like to wip stitch. With the yarn I am using, I think a more soild look would be best, then I just have to find a site that tells me how :D

I like the flat braid too,,,,,but I can't do it....couldn't figure it out. I single crochet the squares together through all 4 loops. I do the vertical sides of the first row, and second row and then crochet those 2 rows horizontally together and so on and so on.....It's really easy and I love how it looks.

verticalthenhorizontalrows.jpg

Archived