Raffle Ticket Pricing for Tunsian Afghan

So, the dilemma of the hockey afghan and who to make ones for has been solved. I of course made one for my son's bed and one for myself for the hockey games. I'm not specifically making one for anyone else on the team or for selling.

But...always one of those right????

Since I already started this other afghan, I talked to the coach because we do have to do fundraising for the team - it goes towards tournament costs, I think as this is all new to us being on the travel team now.

I offered to him that I would be willing to finish this one and get the x-stitching of the logo on it and we could raffle it off. There are MANY families within the organization and many others at the rink that support the organization in general.

The coach was very grateful and thought along the same lines as I did of putting up a picture of it and having "your number here" on it where I could personal it with the winners jersey number if they like. He admited knowing nothing about crocheting and figured it had to be hours of time to make one and asked me what I thought would be a fair price to ask for the raffle tickets. I told him I'm not a good judge of that and that I would ask on here.

The coach also said, maybe people will want to pay you to make some if they don't win and all I said was, no, mass production takes the fun and relaxation of the craft.

I was thinking since I have the yarn colors of the team I could make a hat and scarf also and we could find something else like a gift card to use at the rink and have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place drawings. I'd have to have a picture to put up for September which is not a problem since mine is already crocheted and just needs the x-stitching done on it so I'll get that started once I finish crocheting this other afghan.

Details on the afghan:

Tunsian crochet

Team logo x-stitched on

151 stitches wide x 127 rows high

border will be 3 rounds of sc with a reverse sc edge

So please if you have any suggestions, comments or thoughts on the raffle pricing and best way to approach it I'd love to hear them. And yes, we have the permission of the rink for the use of the logo.

Thanks so much! :hook

Most raffle tickets are not very expensive. I've never paid more than $2 on raffles for anything, including for new televisions. When the ticket prices are kept low, people often buy numerous tickets so they will have numerous chances to win rather than one chance to win.

As for your problem with making the afghan for many other people, you know it's not possible, unless you do nothing but that, and then you will hate it. Some people will persist anyway. Tell them to learn how to do it themselves. If they say they don't have the time, ask them how they expect you to have the time!

Perhaps a reasonable compromise is to donate one per year for raffle. Otherwise, people have to learn how to crochet or knit their own, with your pattern as a guideline.

I like to do single crochet, so that's how I would probably do your afghan, following the dimensions. The logo and number could be worked right in or added on afterwards.

$1.00 or 6 for $5.00 is the price around here. Another option you could do it a silent auction. You could have a picture of the afghan or the afghan at the rink and have papers there. Have your starting bid at the top of the paper and then have spaces for their name, phone number and bid amount. You could run the auction for a couple of days that way. If someone really wants the afghan badly, they will keep bidding. Keep the papers out so that people can see how much is being bid. You wouldn't get a 2nd or 3rd place winner then but it might raise a little bit more money. If you still wanted a raffle use the hat, scarf and that stuff for a raffle.

I agree keep the ticket cost low. I sure wouldn't pay 5 to 10 dollars for a ticket but I would buy one for $1.00 or 2.00 a ticket.

it must be the east coast inflated costs of everything that be, because even just for a raffle ticket around here you can expect $5 a ticket and that's just a money prize.

i was definately thinking that whatever price they there should be an option for 1 ticket for $X and 5 for $X so that the extra ticket ends up actually being free for purchasing "in bulk" so to speak.

$3/ea or 2 for $5? I don't know ... I tend to think $5 - $10 ea. is a fair price for the amount of work you're doing on the afghan but times are rough. People may not pay that much for a raffle ticket and if they did they probably wouldn't buy more than one.

Well I live in the east....granted I live in "hicksville".....raffle tickets are usually $1 each and 6 for $5 depending on the item. I have paid $20 a ticket for a Harley Davidson motorcycle. I have also been to events where you get an arms length of tickets for $10. I feel feel that in today's economy people will shell out the 5 bucks quicker if they think they are getting 6 tickets instead of just one chance.

I kinda live in hicks ville too (if you mean in the boone docks) but people still tend to charge alot for raffle tickets and they usually get it. But even 3-7 dollars would still be fair.

i also like 1 for a dollar or 6 for five dollars, or the 3 dollars each or 2 for five dollars, but not more than that. You will sell far less raffle tickets and thus make less money if you sell them for more than that.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on the tickets...

we started selling them last night and the word isn't even really spread through the organization yet, but the final prices were:

1 for $5

3 for $10

10 for $20

2 people bought 3 sets 10 for $20 last night and that was just seeing me with a box and asking what it was about! can't wait until the word gets out more. i think it's because it's the team logo and it will be personalized with a number.

Archived