What's this stitch?

AmyOH

Question

I just posted this question on the crochet partners e-mail list, but since there are a lot of you night-owls over here, I thought I'd post here as well...

So, I've been experimenting with a bit of crocheting in the round, trying to create a labyrinth effect with my circle. I like the result just fine, but I'm wondering how to describe it. Instead of working the normal top loops or "V" at the top of the stitch, I'm working a loop behind them at the back of the stitch. This pushes the "v" forward and makes it look like a chain stitch spiraling forward on my circle. Does anyone know what this is called? I've uploaded a picture, but It doesn't show up as well in the photograph as it does in person.

http://photos11.flickr.com/17332261_63612667b9_o.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Amy

10 answers to this question

I dont know what you would call the stitch but I think I know how to do it. You are working right around the whole stitch putting the hook in from the back, to the front, around the stem of the stitch and out the back again then working the rest of the stitch as usual. You can use it in rows as a mock rib too which looks quite good. You would do it in SC on short rows to the width you need for the bottom of a garment, then work along one edge to start the body of your garment.

As for how you would desribe it in a pattern, I cant remember. It is so long since I came across it in a pattern.

Just maybe describe each movement as I did.

Have fun.

Colleen

I'm not sure she's working into the back loop of the stitch. I think she's working into the horizontal ridge sort of behind and below the loops of the stitch. Similar to working into the back ridge/loop in a foundation chain or round 3 in this pattern. I'm not sure if there's a term for this other than just saying to work into the ridge behind the stitch.

edited to add: the piece looks like the petal base from the rose bath pouf from Crochet Me.

So, I got a reply on the mailing list from Diane Simpson, the editor of Quick and Easy Crochet. She calls it the "back bar" that makes sense--because I'm not working the back loop--I'm skipping the top stitch completely, so the whole top of the stitch lays flat and looks like a chain stitch running around the circle. It's hard to see in the photograph. Thanks for all your ideas!!!

Yes, that is right, :think you work around the stitch on the previous row and not into the top of it. Leaves what looks like a chain on the top of the work.

If you work into back loop only, you just get a ridge made from half the top of the stitch.:think

Have fun.

Colleen:cheer

Archived