What I found today...

At my local Habitat for Humanity thrift store. Still trying to find my digital camera, because maybe someone could identify the pattern.

Anyway, found a bag containing 6 (plus a partial) balls of Luster Sheen in Vanilla. Annnnd, a completed 20 inch square in some sort of Popcorn Star pattern plus a partial square. I had to rescue it. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, because (1) it may be hard to color match the Luster Sheen and (2) no pattern included.

I guess I will look at Luster Sheen in the stores, to see what it looks like now. And I found a very similar free pattern at Crochet Pattern Central, though--similar but not exact. I might be able to figure it out. Or just add something to the completed square to make it usable.

I really want a thread bedspread--it's a vintage thing with me, I guess. We'll see what happens.

Bonus. I was looking at the incomplete set of The Complete Step-by-Step Library of Needlework and Crafts (from 1973-1975)in the book section. One of the staff was working with the books and said to me "If you find something you want, I'll just give it to you." Me: "Give? As in for free?" So I got 2 of the books. I thought it would be greedy to take all of them, but I got the 2 I wanted. I've been coveting these for several months, even if the set is incomplete.

This particular thrift store is kind of hit and miss. They usually don't get a lot of yarn or knit/crochet stuff. They had some today but nothing else I wanted/needed.

So, I kinda scored...

Is this "Step By Step" thing where you get a booklet every month or so and put them in a binder :think? I got something like that for $2 at a church rummage sale (they were going to toss them :eek). I'll have a look and see what I've got. I like finding stuff like that because you can see what was "in" (or reminisce about :lol) then.

Ellie 13

Does the popcorn square pattern form any shape or symbol? Like a star or pineapple design? Maybe a heart? Maybe a triangle or square? I've saw a few of those.

I also would love a bedspread in thread, or even size 3 thread, but haven't ever got the courage to do one. There is a CAL for bedspreads on here somewhere.

And what do you mean greedy if you took them all?

Now I'm embarrased, I did that several months ago at a thrift store. Took a bunch of Annies and Quick & EAsy crochet and other pattern books. I didn't feel greedy at all, I felt blessed. Like they had been there just for me. Destined to be in my possession. :lol

Of course I do leave some, like the craft ones more crochet and other crafts and there isn't any crochet pattern I'm interested in, or even ones that I have so others can share in the crochet love:manyheart.

Debbi

The books are hard-cover, in a set of 20 (I think). Covers knit, crochet, sewing, embroidery, other crafts. Def. 1970s and def. cool. The set I've been looking at is not complete--missing vol 5-10 even before I got to them. However, I've found someone who wants to sell the complete set and I may spring for it.

The crochet square does have a pattern--a popcorn star. I found a similar pattern at CPC, so between that and what I have I might be able to replicate it. If I can match up the Luster Sheen...

I also got my Jimbo chop-hook today but no time to try it out. Does it match up with a hook size (like J/K/etc.)? Anybody know?

I believe Lustersheen is close to a size 3 thread, so an F hook or somewhere around there (E or G) is usually used. I think I used an F because I was more comfortable with it then an E, when I made some doilies with Lustersheen. But you can experiment to see what would make it similar to the square.

Good luck.

Debbi

I'm pretty sure I read that the chop hook is about a K size hook. Did you see on his blog, where if you make something up and send in a picture, you can be the featured crocheter of the day? :) That would be fun. There is one on there who made some neat sea creatures I think. Anyway... I'm thinking of getting a chop hook. They look cool.

Take care!

Victoria

The books are hard-cover, in a set of 20 (I think). Covers knit, crochet, sewing, embroidery, other crafts. Def. 1970s and def. cool. The set I've been looking at is not complete--missing vol 5-10 even before I got to them. However, I've found someone who wants to sell the complete set and I may spring for it.

The crochet square does have a pattern--a popcorn star. I found a similar pattern at CPC, so between that and what I have I might be able to replicate it. If I can match up the Luster Sheen...

I also got my Jimbo chop-hook today but no time to try it out. Does it match up with a hook size (like J/K/etc.)? Anybody know?

I'm pretty sure I read that the chop hook is about a K size hook. Did you see on his blog, where if you make something up and send in a picture, you can be the featured crocheter of the day? :) That would be fun. There is one on there who made some neat sea creatures I think. Anyway... I'm thinking of getting a chop hook. They look cool.

Take care!

Victoria

Featured crocheter of the day--how neat would that be?!

The chop hook does look extremely cool. Very smooth. Can't wait to try it out--hopefully sometime today after I get off work!!

An update--I'm very pleased!! I found the pattern for this project on ebay!!!!!:yes I could not believe my luck in finding the exact pattern!!

It an Annie's Afghan Club leaflet from 1992, called "Antique Popcorn". I just won it, so once I receive the pattern that will be my next WIP!!

Gotta go check out the Luster Sheen...

I think you mean "Stitch by Stitch." I have the complete set of 20. I bought several of them for 99 cents each when a bookstore was going out of business. Later, I got obsessed, & got them basically book by book on eBay & even finally got the master index for the whole thing. I love them, but don't think I've actually ever made anything out of them. But have certainly gotten some good ideas looking thru the pics.

My mother in law has the complete Step by Step set. And she still uses them. I like flipping through them when I'm over there. They are super awesome books! Hopefully you can figure the squares out. They sound nice. Hopefully you can get some pics of them!

Archived