Protecting precious crochet patterns

You've probably heard this idea before ... but just in case you haven't ... here goes!

I still own some crochet patterns from about 30 years ago and here's why ...

I go to an office supply store ... purchase non-glare plastic page protectors ... photocopy my favorite patterns (including the photos) and insert the photocopies into those page protectors and put them into a large D-ring binder.

When I crochet I use the pattern I've copied & put in page protectors, I put it in my crochet bag ... while the original patterns remain on my craft bookcase ... so if I lose my crochet bag, I will never lose the orignal patterns.

:cheer

i do the same thing. :clap

i never carry the original with me so i can write on it all i want and cross things off, etc and i always have my original in a plastic sheet too in a binder.:yes

I had to learn the hard way to do this. I lost two of my grandmothers patterns that I will never get back. Breaks my heart that I had to learn that lesson but at least I wont loose any more of my precious family prizes.

Most of my patterns are in sheet protectors in binders. But I have a ton of magazines with some good patterns in them... I should probably sort through them and copy the patterns I might use someday... but I never seem to have the time. Good idea.

Oh, and when I use a pattern, I jot down notes or sometimes the entire pattern if it's not too long and complicated, on a note pad and make marks or notations on that. Or if the pattern is long and complicated, I might copy it and make notes on it, to save the original.

I have 4 3inch binders FULL of crochet patterns..

When i get the magazines... I photocopy those as well since i already bought the mag.. and I keep the magazine in my bookcase so i don't damage those either..

I also keep them on a backup drive on my computer too so if i ever move or if things get lost in a fire or anything (since my family is a bunch of computer gurus) i have that too

I have 12 3 inch binders, and I am running out of run in some of them. They are sorted by items, baby sweaters, baby hats and booties, baby dresses and outfits, baby afghans, doilys, regular afghans, graphs of afghans I have made, alphabets and item (such as flowers) graphs, toys, adult wearables, household items and one for other things. The majority are patterns I have found on the net. :hook

Archived