What to do with ribbon yarn?

Schmetterling

In the recent Freecycle lot I was given, there is a label-less skein of some type of ribbon yarn. It is incredibly soft, on the thin side, a lovely cream color.

My question--what in the world is done with ribbon yarn?

I happen to be using ribbon yarn right now to make very thin scarves that are worn as an accessory under a collar of a blouse or blazer. I also make them long enough to be used as belts. Just an idea. My family and friends love them.

I have made washcloths and pot holders with Bernat Miami. It says to hand wash, but I throw mine in the washer/dryer just fine. I also have made a cloche hat that I love.

You can pair it up with a sport weight or worsted weight acrylic yarn and use the 2 strands together as if they are 1 strand. This way you have something substantial to work with.

If you do this, you can make a really lovely purse or any type of bag as big as your ribbon will allow. I did this with ribbon that was dark green, dark brown and gold. I paired it up with a dark green worsted weight acrylic yarn, and was that ever beautiful!

I have another ribbon type in shades of blue, so I'm going to try that one also with a very dark or very light blue yarn. Maybe cream yarn. I don't know yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I just saw Bernat Miami on sale on Smiley's for...77 cents!!! Oh yeah, baby, got myself a few to have on hand. One ball makes a fabulous washcloth. Enjoy!

• 2 years later...

Archived