Bumpy Textured Dishcloth-My First Written Pattern

I was looking for a dishcloth pattern that was more textured to make scrubbing 'stuck on gunk' easier to remove and wasn't happy with what I was finding. So I grabbed my trusty K hook and some cotton yarn and started doodling to see what I could come up with. It took a while, but I finally stumbled onto this. I like this one. I decided the K works well with this pattern so it won't be quite as dense of a fabric and will wring out easier and dry faster.

It is basically a sctog, but instead of actually decreasing across the entire row, I started the sctog in the same stitch as the completed sctog just done. I remembered that a sctog made a nice texture from when I made a dishtowel, so I worked with that to create this:

th_BumpyTexturedDishcloth1.jpg th_BumpyTexturedDishcloth1a.jpg

click for bigger pictures This is a side view to see the texture.

Ok, here is the pattern. This is the first pattern I have written, so if it doesn't make sense, you find any errors or you have any questions, please let me know. It is pretty easy and they work up fairly quickly. I have made 4 tonight in varying sizes. To give you an idea of how much yarn is needed, I made 3 out of one 2 ounce skein of Sugar 'N Cream.....they are 7 1/2", 5" and 4". I had a tiny bit left over. I will try to take pictures of those soon.

Her is a picture of the 3 dishcloths I made with 1 skein of S & C Yarn. I used Faded Denim.

th_BumpyTexturedDishclothFadedDenim.jpg

clickable

Here we go:

BUMPY TEXTURED DISHCLOTH

Any Cotton yarn and hook size of your choice. I used a K hook so it wouldn’t be such a tight weave.

Make a chain the length you desire (it will be the width).

Row 1: SC in second chain from the hook and each chain across. Chain 1, turn.

Row 2: SC the first 2 stitches together. *Insert hook into the last stitch of the sctog stitch, yo and pull up a loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook into the next stitch, yo and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yo and pull hook through all 3 loops on hook. Repeat from * to the end of the row, sc in last stitch (there will be 2 stitches in the last sc). Chain 1, turn.

Repeat Row 2 until desired size is reached.

Last Row: sc in each stitch across.

If desired, you can put a sc border on all 4 sides, or any other border you choose. The sides are even with this pattern, so a border is not necessary unless that is your preference.

Created and Designed by

*Melanie Henderson*

Pattern may be copied for personal use, but is not to be sold!

Extra Note:

When I do my first row of sc, I like to go into the back bump of the chain. It gives the beginning edge a more finished look. Plus when you make the last row a sc row, the first row and last row match. That way you don’t have to do an edging unless you want a more finished look. For my dishcloths, I don’t normally put an edging on mine, since it makes it easier to wring them out without one.

i am working on a few variations but have hit a snag. If I get it worked out, I will post those as well.

Thank you ladies for the kind words.

I wanted a dishcloth with some texture but wasn't too thick. Thick = hard to wring out.

Oh I really like that pattern and your idea. It looks like it would work so much better than the "flat" ones. Thank yo so much for sharing this pattern.

Debby

I gave it a workout last night. I went to use the microwave and found stuck on spaghetti sauce inside it. So I grabbed this one, got it wet and wiped it down. It worked great with minimal rubbing and wasn't hard to wring out.

Brenda, it is very good for scrubbing.

During the night last night, one of my cats got sick on the kitchen floor. It left a stain on the floor. I grabbed one of the dishcloths and it came right up with just a few wipes. Normally I would have had to scrub it.

I added a picture to the first post showing the 3 that I made from 1 skein of S & C (2 ounce).

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm trying it right now! Looks wonderful. Thanks!

Please let me know how it turns out. I'd love to see a picture of it.

• 7 months later...

Thanks so much. I can't wait to try it. I really need a good scrubbing dishcloth.

This is so great, I've gotten three Christmas presents from the 'ville in the last two days. You guys are great! The only thing I want for Christmas is crochet patterns, which of course feeds my addiction.

Thanks again,

TLOL,

Toni

Thanks Ladies.

The pattern is so versatile. It can be used for a dishcloth, hot pad or a potholder.

I have used hook sizes from H up to K. Of course, the smaller the hook the thicker it will be.

Have fun with it ladies :hug

Let me know how they turn out!

:clapAbsolutely neat! I have a few skeins of S&C around here that I had no idea what to do with. Maybe now I can! Thank you, Bonnie Re

• 3 months later...

Archived