Do I need to "warm up" to crochet? LOL!!!

It's been a few years since I crocheted, and I just recently picked my hooks back up! I dont know if its my couch, the way I sit, or what, but I find myself getting sore quickly in my arms, sides, and back!

I get that too, if I sit a hook for too long. When I did my MIL's doily, I did it in a 5 hour marathon session. It was hard to get off the couch when I was finished and my arms were sooo sore the next day!

Its never a bad idea to stretch your arms, fingers, back, neck, etc before sitting down to a long project. And be sure to take a break every so often to walk around, get another cup of coffee, stretch.

I was away from crochet for about a dozen years. I have had a lot more aches & pains, too. I figured it was because of having gotten older, and certain muscles just have gotten out of shape. And marathon crocheting sessions tend to make me achey as well.

I have found that I don't get that achy feeling if I crochet with good posture in a straightback chair - like all good piano students :-) I used to do the couch thing, but I prefer my desk chair these days (and I can crochet for much longer periods of time). (I never have like piano benches, always siting on the edge and wondering if they're going to tip over LOL)

Normally, feet on the floor is best, bust since mine will swell, I find any horncase nearby a good foot stool (yep, my bassoon is a $2000 footrest today LOL) so long as my knees are still flexed/supported or not hyperextended. Lounge-about and other poor posture habbits tend to restrict both ease of movement and full breathing so my back, shoulders, and chest start to hurt. When I made afghans for my nieces, I was never sure if I was having heart-attack or comfy-couch chest pains, so I moved my desk closer to the tv :-)

Give the 'piano posture' for crochet a try - most people have amazingly poor postue once their mothrs/teachers aren't reminding tham to sit up striaght - at first it seems to tire your lower back, but that's because your muscles are having to get used to supporting you rather than the couch doing it, but pretty soon it's really comfortable to crochet.

I sometimes catch myself getting tense, and find my shoulders creeping up and up. Who knows why? Now I take more breaks, move around, rub my shoulders and neck, etc.

I put a pillow under my crocheting arm too. It helps with elbow and shoulder pain. I do take breaks as well, even on a marathon crochet, because I find my shoulders creeping up too, so it helps to just get up away from it for a few minutes.

I too find that the better my posture when sitting I will have less arm, shoulder or back pain. If I crochet on the sofa I make sure I have a pillow behind my back for good back support. I have also found that I have less shoulder or arm pain if I make sure my arms are resting comfortably at my sides, not reachig out in front. I think the reaching out in front of you puts so much stress on you shoulder and upper arm muscles. The straighter I sit the less pain I have.

Archived