I give up!

I have been trying to make the Crystal Lace Bolero (http://crochetme.com/patterns/crystal-lace-bolero) since it was featured on "Knit and Crochet Today" in March. I made all the squares, but I can't figure out how to make them into the bolero. The joining instructions seem very complicated to me and I'm so frustrated, I don't even want the thing anymore! Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do with the 36 little squares I made? I used black RHSS. They aren't normal granny squares, so it's not like I can incorporate them into another granny square project.

That's too bad, it's a lovely bolero. But you're right, the pattern could have been more clear.

For one thing, you should have more than 36 squares--36 grannies, 4 three-quarter grannies, and 32 joining circles

It would have been helpful if:

1) the number of joining circles was mentioned in the pattern and not just the layout diagram

2) the layout diagram showed each motif shape in a different color, and showed at least part of the joining stitches.

3) the layout diagram showed you how to fold it in half, from top to bottom, and where to connect the squares for the underarm seam. She does show it in her blog link, but not too clearly IMHO for someone who is not used to making garments.

Maybe you could connect them into a scarf, or make a few more for a shawl?

That is very cute! I just looked over the pattern and it made my head spin too. Good luck! :hug

Maybe if you can't figure it out, you can join the motifs somehow into a scarf? :think

For one thing, you should have more than 36 squares--36 grannies, 4 three-quarter grannies, and 32 joining circles

It would have been helpful if:

1) the number of joining circles was mentioned in the pattern and not just the layout diagram

I didn't realize that the joining circles were something separate I had to make first before joining. I thought the circles were the joining method. When I was trying to join them to the grannies, it was becoming a big mess! I think I might just make a shawl or scarf or something with the squares. I don't know what I'll do with it once it's done though. No one I know needs a black shawl or scarf- especially this time of year.

Archived