Babette Blanket and boredom?

I love the Babette.:yes I became obsessed with it when I first saw it posted on a blog.:drool The magazine was out of print and unavailable at the time. I recently bought the pdf on the Interweave website and dug into my enormous stash. I was able to find yarns in almost every color of the original. :jumpyay

I am making the squares in order in each panel. I make a square, weave the ends in, mark it off on the pattern and go to the next square. When I have a couple completed, I sew them together. This keeps the excitement going for me - to see it come to life before my eyes. :woo

I have completed my first panel and am starting on my second today.:dance

My BFF thinks I'm crazy, but I told her she has no room to talk as she is taking clay clases and wants to learn to raise Bonsai trees. Now that sounds crazy to me.:loco

I made one a year or so ago -- long enough ago to have only a dim recollection of the tedium of it, but not so long that I've forgotten how pretty it was. It went to the hospice where most of my work goes. I give an occasional stray thought to making one for myself, but there's no rush on that.

I loved the Babette! I made it for a young man's graduation gift last year. He couldn't give me a color so I told him he's get every **** color I had--and he did! LOL. I think I had 27 colors in it, used stash yarn and it didn't cost me a single dine. And he loved it!

I made mine in the blocks, also, and worked ends in each block as I went along. I couldn't wait to see the next color combination and really enjoyed putting this together. It was a labor of love.

Babette3

babette1

I've considered making this a portable project and making the squares on the go. That way I can do other projects at home and not be bored with babette. :)

I have to admit that I don't see the attraction of these blankets. I think it is knowing about weaving those ends that stops me cold. I don't see the ghan; I only see all those ends.

:rofl

ME TOO, it's gorgeous but I would never never never make one bc there is no way I wouldn't lose my mind weaving in all those ends

• 1 year later...

The Babette is a purchased pattern. I paid 5.50 to download it from the internet.

I did the Babette. It's still in my closet because I haven't finished sewing it together, or putting the border on it. I really enjoyed making it. I think I am addicted to scrap patterns. On my next one, I will sew each section together as I go along. As far as weaving in ends, I crochet over the ends as I go along, so it's not so bad at the end.

Wow. I know if I even attempted it, I would end up making it large enough to cover an entire wall and hide all the ends on the wall side. However, I looked up trying to find a free pattern for it and ended up finding something just as beautiful to do. As soon as I'm done Bella Boo's baby blanket aka 1 yr old birthday present, I'm going to make tons and tons of African Flower Hexagons. For my own personal blankie, I'm going to do a field of purple African Violets, then daisies for my 8yr old, then a multicolor field of flowers for my teens. Hugs and Cookies

if you dont mind making it as granny squares and not solid ones you can join as you go

see here for general joinas you go and here for someone who has done it

im planning on doing this and have discovered my quilt design software Electric Quilt can be used to plan the colours beforehand.

Archived