shopping bag CAL

sweetirishct

To be honest even if you put card board in the bottom like the pattern calls for it's still floppy. I'm going to try washing and drying it to shirnk it some, I'll let you know how it turns out. Either way I'm going to make a smaller one since I have a rainbow of colors in my stash.

I would love to join this CAL. I was just thinking, since Earth Day was the other day, I should really start to make some shopping bags to keep in my car. I have a different bag started, but I'd love to try this one too. I have a ton of chocolate brown, rosewood ombre, and rose pink sugar'n cream. I printed the pattern and I think I'll try a few rows after I get my girls in bed.

:hookThis is my first CAL, and I'm really excited!

Welcome Alice...keep us posted on your progress! This was my first CAL too.

Well, I washed/dried my tote! The first thing I noticed was the NEW look was gone but, it does look very loved. Shrinkage 1-2 inches tops and now very very floppy. Like I said before if you put something heavy in it...it will be dragging on the ground, Eeek! Making a smaller tote would work better for my needs.

How is everyone else doing???

Okay, I'm joining up with this one. It took forever to get Yahoo to load up the email from Bernat. I downloaded the pattern just in case.

I'm thinking Masonite or something else stiff would work in the bottom of the bag. Styrofoam?

I'm doing mine in one color, just to be easy. Haven't picked out which yet. It surely is a nice looking bag.

Okay, I just started the bag. I'm still going with pink and brown. Sorry it took so long to get going. I had another shopping bag I was working on that I was kinda making up as I went along. It took on a life of its own and I just had to finish it.

So, now to the Bernat bag... hopefully I'll get a few more rows done tonight:hook

Okay, I'm joining up with this one. It took forever to get Yahoo to load up the email from Bernat. I downloaded the pattern just in case.

I'm thinking Masonite or something else stiff would work in the bottom of the bag. Styrofoam?

I'm doing mine in one color, just to be easy. Haven't picked out which yet. It surely is a nice looking bag.

I was going to experiment with plastic canvas in the bottom. Maybe I'll get hubby to cut some thin plywood or something for it. That might make it heavy though. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Could I use Sugar'n'Cream for this? I've got some on hand. It's a 4-ply worsted weight cotton. I don't know how heavy the Handicrafter is.

Would I need to add stitches to come up with the same size bag?

Could I use Sugar'n'Cream for this? I've got some on hand. It's a 4-ply worsted weight cotton. I don't know how heavy the Handicrafter is.

Would I need to add stitches to come up with the same size bag?

I'm using sugar n' cream (rose and chocolate). They're both worsted weight.

I've only 16 rows done, and as I'm going along i keep thinking how I could embellish the finished bag. I think maybe I'll crochet some pink flowers for the (brown) center panel. I really need to stop jumping ahead of myself, though. :sighSigh, I wish I could crochet faster!

Alice, thanks! I compared the Handicrafter info on the Bernat website with my Sugar'n'Creme labels. They seem to be equivalent. Okay, here I do.

Whoopee, I'm in a CAL!

Just a few more rows today. I'm about 3/4 finished with the first side. I've got so many projects going on... oh well, any progress is good, right?

On a good note, I'm almost done with a felted purse, just have to attatch the flowers-- I really like to embellish things with flowers.

I've got the first side done. It's somewhat crooked. I think that will be fixed when I join it, it may need some blocking.

• 4 weeks later...

I am definitely looking forward to doing this.

I have yet to get a bag with my fraternity colors or letters and I have tons of yarn here. I am looking for a beach bag that is big enough for a towel, flip flops, a mat, the essentials. I wish I could do it in acrylic yarn (my budget is tight when it comes to yarn). So hopefully by the weekend, I will have this done or have something similar to it.

Cynthia

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here are my first attempts at a shopping bag. I didn't do very well but that's okay -- I'll still use them for myself.

HPIM0765.jpg

As you can see, the sides of this bag are nowhere near correct. Poor thing looks like it's been run over by a truck. LOL I used Sugar & Cream yarn, strawberry cream color.

HPIM0767.jpg

This bag actually started out as a hat. I didn't like the way it was turning out as a hat, so I just kept building up the sides until I got sick of it. At least it's a lot better than the first one.

• 1 month later...
I am definitely looking forward to doing this.

I have yet to get a bag with my fraternity colors or letters and I have tons of yarn here. I am looking for a beach bag that is big enough for a towel, flip flops, a mat, the essentials. I wish I could do it in acrylic yarn (my budget is tight when it comes to yarn). So hopefully by the weekend, I will have this done or have something similar to it.

Cynthia

use caution with acrylic... the bags i have completed (but yet to post a pic of) got very stretched out in the acrylic. if there is anything of weight loaded in, they are dragging down around my knees...

When I do a purse or bag in acrylic that I don't want to stretch I get crochet thread... the kind you use to make doilies with... I use that with my yarn ..it doesn't change the weight of the yarn but keeps it from stretching...

Archived