shopping bag CAL

sweetirishct

I am in the process of this bag, really only still in the beginning... But wondering if anyone would like to join me. I have run into a small problem that I can't figure out for the life of me... I keep losing a stitch, starting from about the 4th or 5th row... I am following the pattern verbatum and don't know where the problem is...

Anyone wanna join me? It is a cute, easy shopping bag. Cotton with HDC and DC stitches.

come! join me!!:hook

oh yeah, here is the pattern ... you have to be a member to view the pattern, but membership is free!

I don't have time to start it just yet...but love the pattern. Thanks for sharing it. Good luck in getting past the problem. Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

That is very cute! But I can't access it right now :( For some reason Bernat is the one site I can never seem to remember my user name and/or password! And that's at home :(

I am planning on doing there round tv pillow for my daughter for christmas, do it in her teams colors Purple and gold. So she can be comfie watching the game!!!!!! I hope that I dont run into trouble with that one, I guess I should probably get it started in case I have to do something else.

Good luck on your bag, I think its cute, and very roomy. Hope it works out.

Cathy

Hey Sweetirishct, I'm on board with ya but, like Leslie I will need to get some cotton tomorrow. I have to say I look at patterns on this site all the time and never came across this Cute Tote. Good job on finding a cool pattern!

Ok, I'm not an expert but, would like to give you come encouragement to help you with your loosing a stitch. Maybe it will help if I ask a few questions and you recount your rows. I also noticed in the Note: Ch 2 does not count as first hdc in row. That can get a little tricky when you work on a project, set it down and come back. Do you have 51 dhc in the first row? And the 2nd row Ch 3 counts as a dc. Keep working through it and hopefully I will be at that point tomorrow night and I'll check back.

I'm sure you have your own way to follow a pattern but, I will share with you how I do it. By writting down on a sepparte paper what row I am working on and what row I am repeating and/or any notes. Then marking out or checking off rows when I'm finished.

example: Row 5 - repeat row 2 (Ch2 doesn't cout as hdc)

Row 6 - repeat row 3

This will be my first CAL and I'm very excitied! Happy crocheting...

Hey Sweetirishct, I'm on board with ya but, like Leslie I will need to get some cotton tomorrow. I have to say I look at patterns on this site all the time and never came across this Cute Tote. Good job on finding a cool pattern!

Ok, I'm not an expert but, would like to give you come encouragement to help you with your loosing a stitch. Maybe it will help if I ask a few questions and you recount your rows. I also noticed in the Note: Ch 2 does not count as first hdc in row. That can get a little tricky when you work on a project, set it down and come back. Do you have 51 dhc in the first row? And the 2nd row Ch 3 counts as a dc. Keep working through it and hopefully I will be at that point tomorrow night and I'll check back.

I'm sure you have your own way to follow a pattern but, I will share with you how I do it. By writting down on a sepparte paper what row I am working on and what row I am repeating and/or any notes. Then marking out or checking off rows when I'm finished.

example: Row 5 - repeat row 2 (Ch2 doesn't cout as hdc)

Row 6 - repeat row 3

This will be my first CAL and I'm very excitied! Happy crocheting...

I can honestly say that I love the bag, don't love the pattern... I have gone back and counted stitches so many times I am counting in my dreams!!:(

But, I am up to about 7rows ONCE AGAIN and the problem persists. I have laid this down and come back so many times, I have a habit of working on 3-4 projects at one time. Call it ADD or whatever you want:P

So this time I am gonna just keep going and see what turns up.

As for what yarn am I using, the walmart neaby has Peaches&Cream, I am using color 159: pink lilacs (a pretty verigated pink/rose/purple/white) with the plain white. I was gonna use this for DD's overnight bag, but since I can't find any of the pinks or purple solid balls around here, I am doing the solid areas with white. And that just don't work with a 3yr old.... So maybe I will sell as a fundraiser for the ACS... I dunno, we will see...

I am on my way to Walmart and will let you know what colors I choose.Have a busy day of housework-so crocheting is what I am looking forward to,when i finish!Will let you know what I think of the pattern once i get started...we can figure it out together:) Leslie

in my frustration I looked again at the picture of the bag. being that the panels that you are crocheting to begin are turned sideways (the starting chain runs up the left side) it may work out exactly as the pattern is written. go figure:think

when I was working the pattern, I noticed holes at the end of some rows, and kept reworking to close that hole. I think this is one place that I was going wrong. those holes can be seen along the top of the bag. hmph.

like i said before, guess I will just keep hookin and see what turns up...

Ahhh...just got back from work, Ick! Did stop at Joann's to picked up White and Sunkissed (yellow/white/blues) Sugar'nCream. I really wanted Swimming Pool (different shade of turquoise) but, they only had 2 balls...what can you do?!

They had several solid colors and I was going to write them down to see if you wanted me to send you some (Sale $2 a ball) but, another lady was hoovering over them. I wanted to ask her if she was going to CAL :crocheting here at the Ville tonight but, I didn't. :P

I can honestly say that I love the bag, don't love the pattern... I have gone back and counted stitches so many times I am counting in my dreams!!:(

But, I am up to about 7rows ONCE AGAIN and the problem persists. I have laid this down and come back so many times, I have a habit of working on 3-4 projects at one time. Call it ADD or whatever you want:P

So this time I am gonna just keep going and see what turns up.

As for what yarn am I using, the walmart neaby has Peaches&Cream, I am using color 159: pink lilacs (a pretty verigated pink/rose/purple/white) with the plain white. I was gonna use this for DD's overnight bag, but since I can't find any of the pinks or purple solid balls around here, I am doing the solid areas with white. And that just don't work with a 3yr old.... So maybe I will sell as a fundraiser for the ACS... I dunno, we will see...

Ok, I'm on Row 8 and this bag is going to be HUGE! Note to self...don't over load it or the handle will stretch out. lol I bet a smaller version of this would be nice too.

I work on several projects too...I call it Mulit-Tasking! :hook When I get a pattern that needs my total attention I hide behind locked doors so I can count. I've even threaten to lock myself in the closet a few times. :D

in my frustration I looked again at the picture of the bag. being that the panels that you are crocheting to begin are turned sideways (the starting chain runs up the left side) it may work out exactly as the pattern is written. go figure:think

when I was working the pattern, I noticed holes at the end of some rows, and kept reworking to close that hole. I think this is one place that I was going wrong. those holes can be seen along the top of the bag. hmph.

like i said before, guess I will just keep hookin and see what turns up...

Yeap, my starting chain runs up the left side. I have even holes, so far so good!

This pattern is tricky and keeps ya on your toes cause one row you count the Ch 3 and the other row you don't count Ch 2. So, I really have to watch at the end/beginning of rows not to add or drop stitches. I'm excited to hear Leslie's take on this part of the pattern.

Ok, my dd Tennis practice is over and everyone is going to Pizza Hut! :cheer I'll be back in a bit.

Back from the Pizza Party, Whoo hoo!

At the beginning of the Row 2 I "don't" count Ch2 as a hdc so, I start my first dhc in first hole next to the Ch2...they line up side by side. And at the end I put a hdc in the previous row Ch 3 to get 51#.

At the beginning of Row 3 I "do" count Ch 3 as a dc so, I skip the first hole and start in the next. At the end I do not put a dc in the previous Ch2. Is that Clear as Mud?! lol

I took some pictures if you want me to post them I will.

At least that's how it's working out for me. The big holes in the ends look even and I still have #51. How are you doing? Leslie are you back from Wal-Mart yet? Anyone else CAL with us?

Yes, I am going to begin this bag today.Yesterday I had a dinner party and spent the day cooking...we had good time-but no time to crochet.Today,I will begin.I bought some yarn in pale blue and pale blue/darker blue(reminds me of faded bluejeans).I may add some white. Leslie:)

With using cotton will it shrink...do I wash it first and block it before putting it together?

So far I have one Front panel done and working on the bottom/side now.

well, I frogged most of what I had, because in the flourescent lights at work I decided that the white was very bright, and the white part of the variegated was more pink-ish and looked almost dingy when you put them side by side.... so, i am gonna look again for a pink to compliment the variegated.

I have a 1lb cone of white-lt blue-dk blue at home, and it suggests a denim to me... i think I will start on that tonight/today while dd is napping...

thanks to all for cal'ing with me!

peonies- thanks for the explanation! I think that is what I was doing but :clapthanks for spelling it out...

(oh, and my pi:eeka friend is working the mouse while I am trying to type a message...forgive the ra:devilndom smilies... see what i mean?:eek)

Worked on it last night and I ran into problems-so today I will begin again.peonies-I am going to follow your advice so I don't lose stitches!(or lose my mind)I thought when I read the pattern-how hard can it be to do dc and hdc...:think Anyway I will let you all know! Leslie

Worked on it last night and I ran into problems-so today I will begin again.peonies-I am going to follow your advice so I don't lose stitches!(or lose my mind)I thought when I read the pattern-how hard can it be to do dc and hdc...:think Anyway I will let you all know! Leslie

Yeah, that's what I said too... which is why I have been so frustrated! i hate having to frog so much, and dh actually told dd the other day how to crochet: " you play with yarn and hook it together, then take it all out, just like mommy does" :bang

What color and brand are you looking for to finish your tote?

Ok, mine is finished! It's my avatar up in the left hand corner. I want to do a smaller version and maybe add a liner with pockets/zipper.

I'll check in when I start another tote. Happy Crocheting...

Cool, join in the CAL Debbie!

Cotton was on sale for .99 each when I went so, I bought a few of each color, hee hee Also, looked at pattern books using cotton to see different color combos used together. Really diggin Turquoise, Green, and White.

I'm not diggin my finished tote. For some reason I'm attracted to variegated yarn and never like how it turns out. I'm sticking to solids for now on! Now to find a project for all those single skeins of variegated yarn in my stash, Sigh!

Cool, join in the CAL Debbie!

Cotton was on sale for .99 each when I went so, I bought a few of each color, hee hee Also, looked at pattern books using cotton to see different color combos used together. Really diggin Turquoise, Green, and White.

I'm not diggin my finished tote. For some reason I'm attracted to variegated yarn and never like how it turns out. I'm sticking to solids for now on! Now to find a project for all those single skeins of variegated yarn in my stash, Sigh!

so it's only the yarn that you don't like that much? how's the design? does it come together strong enough for heavier groceries?

Archived