Shawler CAL

How is everyone doing on this. I have not had a chance to start another one yet. I have yarn and it is at the top of my list for the new year. Along with a quite a few other things!!!!LOL

I just finished row 36 of my first side and thinking of going 4 or so more rows. This is the one that I'm using Bernat Softee Chunky in Taupe for. It's supposidly for me. I'll post a picture tonight or tomorrow. Right now it's my favorite project to work on.

I have a couple of small Christmas projects going (bookmarks, ornaments) and one other scrap type afghan. So I'm in good shape with this.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shelle.

I really like that as well. I think I would like this better then the black myself.

Kookaloo Star. I hope that you can get your yarn this week. It took me a few weeks to get mine done. I am not sure I could have one done for Christmas, hopefully you crochet faster then i do!!!!!

I like it better, too. That's why I told her about it. I didn't think she'd be happy with solid black - it would show every little fleck of lint, etc. :eek

I'm curious to know how long it takes everybody to make a Shawler. I allow 2 weeks, but I think I could do it in one week, if really pressed. I got the first half of this Edwardian done in 2 & 1/2 days, but i wasn't working on it constantly. I wonder how long it would take if you crocheted straight through, with no interruptions. Yeah, right! Like that's gonna happen! :rolleyes

Kookaloo Star. I hope that you can get your yarn this week. It took me a few weeks to get mine done. I am not sure I could have one done for Christmas, hopefully you crochet faster then i do!!!!!

I'm not a fast crochetier but I don't work so I have plenty of time on my hands, sadly not all of that time can be spent crocheting ;)

I'm curious to know how long it takes everybody to make a Shawler. I allow 2 weeks, but I think I could do it in one week, if really pressed. I got the first half of this Edwardian done in 2 & 1/2 days, but i wasn't working on it constantly. I wonder how long it would take if you crocheted straight through, with no interruptions. Yeah, right! Like that's gonna happen! :rolleyes
I'm going to track the hours it takes me when I get around to it, one of my quirks *lol*

Because it calls for a bulky yarn it goes much faster than your BUP for me.

A shawler takes me about 4-5 days if I work on it a lot. A little over a week if I have less time. But I'd probably give myself at least 2 weeks if I needed it for a gift or something because it never fails something always gets in the way when I have to get something done.

Hugs

Kath

Has anybody used Lion Brand Color Waves for their Shawler? I did my Shawler in Homespun in the purple Barrington color. However I'm considering making another and was thinking of Homespun's Tudor colorway. I see at Smiley's they have the discontinued Color Waves and it appears that the Pebble Beach looks similar to Tudor. BUT I've never seen it in person and don't have any way to physically get somewhere to look at it.

So, has anyone seen Pebble Beach in person? I'm hoping my Christmas present from my parents might be $ and then I could buy the yarn; it's only 1.99 a skein at Smiley's.

Yep. Your right. it would.

Can't wait to see the finished pic of this one Shelle.

I like it better, too. That's why I told her about it. I didn't think she'd be happy with solid black - it would show every little fleck of lint, etc. :eek

I'm not a fast crochetier but I don't work so I have plenty of time on my hands, sadly not all of that time can be spent crocheting ;)

I'm going to track the hours it takes me when I get around to it, one of my quirks *lol*

I understand this time on your hands thing that you are talking about!!

I don't know how long for sure it took me. I worked on other things as well. The Shawler started out as a take along to doc appts. etc. project and when it got to large and I was ready to assemble it had to stay home will I could work on it.

i really enjoyed working on mine as well. I had about 3 requests for them when I wore mine the first few times.

I just finished row 36 of my first side and thinking of going 4 or so more rows. This is the one that I'm using Bernat Softee Chunky in Taupe for. It's supposidly for me. I'll post a picture tonight or tomorrow. Right now it's my favorite project to work on.

I have a couple of small Christmas projects going (bookmarks, ornaments) and one other scrap type afghan. So I'm in good shape with this.

Has anybody used Lion Brand Color Waves for their Shawler? I did my Shawler in Homespun in the purple Barrington color. However I'm considering making another and was thinking of Homespun's Tudor colorway. I see at Smiley's they have the discontinued Color Waves and it appears that the Pebble Beach looks similar to Tudor. BUT I've never seen it in person and don't have any way to physically get somewhere to look at it.

So, has anyone seen Pebble Beach in person? I'm hoping my Christmas present from my parents might be $ and then I could buy the yarn; it's only 1.99 a skein at Smiley's.

Keesha, I think Color Waves would be beautiful. I've seen Pebble Beach, but I forget what it looks like exactly. I have used CW in the other colors, and I like it, but it doesn't 'flow' as easily as the Homespun when you're working with it. I made a Poncho one time with it and used several different colors. I really like the feel of it - it's warm and soft. I'll see if I can find it and take a picture of it.

Found it! Now I'm not positive, but I think the top part of this poncho might be Pebble Beach. I used 4 skeins of Color Waves, one each of 4 different colors. As you can see, the first skein went pretty far, then each successive skein added fewer and fewer rows, since it took more yarn to get around the row the farther down it went.

ColorWavesponcho1.jpgColorWavesponcho.jpg

I am finished with my first side. This is 40 rows and 166 stitches across. I must not have placed a couple of stitches in the very end of the rows but it's close enough. I am oing to start side two tomorrow.

I am planning to put a collar on this and I am also thinking that I may need to put a decorative border along the bottom edge because even though it is pretty long on me, I am shaped like a pear and carry some weight in my thighs. I need to hide those a bit more than this one side does. Lots of words- here's the photo :

3067374342_900650863e_m.jpg

Shelle. that is really pretty. Is it the Pow Wow shall? I am going to have to make that again.

Found it! Now I'm not positive, but I think the top part of this poncho might be Pebble Beach. I used 4 skeins of Color Waves, one each of 4 different colors. As you can see, the first skein went pretty far, then each successive skein added fewer and fewer rows, since it took more yarn to get around the row the farther down it went.

I am finished with my first side. This is 40 rows and 166 stitches across. I must not have placed a couple of stitches in the very end of the rows but it's close enough. I am oing to start side two tomorrow.

I am planning to put a collar on this and I am also thinking that I may need to put a decorative border along the bottom edge because even though it is pretty long on me, I am shaped like a pear and carry some weight in my thighs. I need to hide those a bit more than this one side does. Lots of words- here's the photo :

3067374342_900650863e_m.jpg

I like this color.

Dilyca2006 - No, that's my Fall Poncho pattern. I don't have it in my shop, but I probably should put it in there - it's so quick and easy and very comfortable to wear. Thanks - glad you like it! :hug

(The PW Shawl is straight across the top, and comes down to a point in the back - it's a triangle, and wraps around your shoulders)

Scorpio59, that's beautiful. Love the nice, neutral color - that will go with anything! Your stitch count sounds right-on to me! Can't wait to see the finished product! :hook

I see the difference now taking a closer look. I have made your Pow Wow shawl and love it. If you put this one in your shop I would love to make it also!!!!!!!!

Dilyca2006 - No, that's my Fall Poncho pattern. I don't have it in my shop, but I probably should put it in there - it's so quick and easy and very comfortable to wear. Thanks - glad you like it! :hug

(The PW Shawl is straight across the top, and comes down to a point in the back - it's a triangle, and wraps around your shoulders)

I see the difference now taking a closer look. I have made your Pow Wow shawl and love it. If you put this one in your shop I would love to make it also!!!!!!!!

Okee dokee, I'll go do it now. :D

Thanks!! :hug

How is everyone doing with their Shawlers that they are working on. I am ready to start the Fall Poncho that Shelle has a pic of in an earlier post. Post #761

I finihsed Side One and am working on a few Christmas ornaments before I begin side two. I crochet a lot in the winter so I know that I'll be back to it soon. But Christmas stuff is taking priority.

I'm working on one in Homespun Edwardian, which is a charcoal/black. Ready to put the hood on. Doing a few small projects along the way, too. I always seem to have 17 things going at once! :loco

Shelle thanks for your response! I'm so glad I came back to this thread as I didn't receive the automatic response notification for some reason. That does seem to look like the Pebble Beach--to me it's somewhat close to Homespun's Tudor, which is what I'm aiming for but at much less cost. Smiley's has Pebble Beach for 1.99.

Found it! Now I'm not positive, but I think the top part of this poncho might be Pebble Beach.

Archived