Interweave Crochet Yarns

Cabobabo

I like the patterns in the magazine, but have an awful time finding the yarn they recommend. In addition, I'm guessing the yarn is rather expensive because of the fiber blends. Are the rest of you like me and do you just use a more reasonably priced yarn in the same weight or do you use exactly what is suggested?

I pretty much always use a different yarn, unless the pattern calls for Lion Brand or Bernat :lol and a lot of times even then. I usually go to Yarndex and compare the weight, first of all, and then try to pick a similar yarn, like if it calls for a fluffy yarn, I might not use Simply Soft (then again, I might).

I do substitute with a more affordable yarn....but I have been known to splurge on the exact yarn a pattern calls for just because I love how it looks in the pattern.....

Thanks everyone. Living in small town Canada it's not always easy to find the yarn suggested in the pattern even if I wanted it. Great to know that so many others subsitute one yarn for another.

I saw that interweave crochet magazine for the first time the other day and I was looking through it, I did like some of the patterns but I knew the yarn was going to be way out of my league. I need a more down to earth crochet magazine.

I too live in Canada ... I am making Doris Chan`s Smokey Quartzes Tunic from Interweave Crochet fall 2006. It calls for a yarn that I know we can not get ,, so I sub it for Bernat Satin it is turning out really well and so soft. As long as you stay within your gauge and weight as in 3 or 4 ply etc , it should work , just adjust hook accordingly.

I always substitute. The yarns listed may be expensive or hard to find but I can always find substitutions. As long as you buy a yarn that is similar in weight and type you should have no problems.

I also live in Canada, inexpensive but quality yarn is easy to find if you know how to look for it. There are many online stores that have great shipping prices. For instance, www.elann.com is a great Canadian company with beautiful yarn are reduced prices and frequently has bag sales. I bought last month 50 skeins of 1.75 ounces for under $100 including shipping and shipping was only $12.

Currently right now, Herschnerrs is having a bag sale for Patons, I find the prices are highway robbery and that does not include shipping. I find better prices online at various Canadian sites for similar yarns. Sometimes, great finds can be found on Ebay.ca but they are quite infrequent.

The yarns call for in the patterns do not stop me from buying the magazine but encourage me to look for what I need. I frequently use Bernat Satin and Bernat Cool Crochet, YarnArt Summer, YarnArt Jeans and other European cotton blends.

Archived