Why do they do this with hooks????

I went to Michaels today, did not buy any yarn at all (Stashbusters). Picked up a size 7 steel hook and it's the wrong mm. I needed a size 7 1.65 mm hook. I bought a size 7, but it's 1.50 mm. I have other Bates hooks like that, same manufacturer, same letter, different mm. ARGH!!!!!!

Ugh, I hate that! All of my bates 7s are 1.5mm I think... the boye ones are 1.65mm. And my PIMS are 1.6mm I think... and the german ones are only labelled by mm size (thank goodness)...

:think I have some Boye (or Boyle) and they are NOT the same mm. as any other hook, and are not finished well at the point and catch on yarn/thread. BOOOOO :grumpy ! I am trying to finish a star blankey for my upcoming nephew and it is driving me nuts. After this I am giving the hook away!!

the best, smoothest hooks I have found so far is a German (i think) brand called Inox. Light gray, smooth and comfortable. Coated aluminum...mm mm good.

:think I have some Boye (or Boyle) and they are NOT the same mm. as any other hook, and are not finished well at the point and catch on yarn/thread.

Boye and Bates do have different mm size associated with the size of the hook. That's why I always go by mm size. :)

However, I love my Boye hooks and hate my Bates (for yarn anyway). I prefer the taper of the neck and the pointyness of the head. I am a super slooooooow crocheter with the Bates yarn hooks.

the best, smoothest hooks I have found so far is a German (i think) brand called Inox.

I have Inox steel hooks that have handles -- they are my favorite steel hooks now, by far. Well-shaped and the handles help with hand cramps and the like. :)

I KNOW! It drives me insane. I have these two steel hooks, one is a Bates and one is a Boye, same number, but you guessed it, different mm.

It's weird, I prefer my Boye hooks for yarn, and my Bates hooks for thread. Boye hooks have a more shallow, smooth throat, and a rounded head, except for the very tip which is much pointier than Bates. Bates throats are deeper and very angular, with a broad, chiseled head, which hangs over the throat more than a Boye. I think that's why I find thread easier with Bates - it holds on better, and tiny thread tends to slip out of the hook easily. On the larger scale, with yarn, I like my Boyes better because it's faster and easier since it doesn't hang on so much.

It's weird, I prefer my Boye hooks for yarn, and my Bates hooks for thread.

You're not the only one! The new Boye steel hooks are not designed properly for thread crochet. Noel has some bit about that on her website...

But for yarn, I can't stand Bates and love Boye... :)

Jess, you're right. I guess I hadn't thought of it quite that way... that it could be a mistake on their part. But you have a good point, maybe Boye really needs to redesign. The throat is absurd for use with thread. It looks like regular Boye, but on a steel scale it's so shallow and open that I just don't think it could hold onto the thread for most people.

For yarn, Bates is okay for me, especially the smaller ones. It's not like I can't stand to work with mine, but I do prefer my Boye hooks. They're just faster.

I use mostly steel hooks as I work with thread most of the time. The only brand of steel hooks available in Manila is IMIA. It is imported from Japan. I am using their size 7 hook for my size 10 thread and it is what I am used to. :D I've just checked but can't find the gauge on my hook.....

It's funny, I hate Boye, and love Bates. LOL!

The Boye don't hold on enough for me, and that big clunky pointy head gets in my way. I like the shorter, rounder head of the Bates.

I also teach crochet, and I have found that most of my students learn faster with the Bates than the Boye. I've had students bring a Boye, and have trouble... usually, if I let them borrow my Bates, they pick it right up. It's weird.

The Boye don't hold on enough for me, and that big clunky pointy head gets in my way. I like the shorter, rounder head of the Bates.

I also teach crochet, and I have found that most of my students learn faster with the Bates than the Boye. I've had students bring a Boye, and have trouble... usually, if I let them borrow my Bates, they pick it right up. It's weird.

I much prefer the Bates and the in-line head. The Boye alway snag the yarn on me. Now, the Clover Soft Touches have a Boye head and I have adjusted using them, but I did buy a Rosewood hook I could not use because it was like Boye.

There is a site that discusses this that was interesting and informative:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/hooks.htm

*makes notes to check mm* I am hoping to get into thread crochet sometime in June and fumbles like that would piss me off, especially since I can't afford to but the wrong hook. That said, I've done a bit of thread crochet from my grandma's stash and have no preference to hooks (yet!).

Yes, I tried to relearn crochet with Boye and really would get the yarn cinched up around that narrow throat. Very frustrating and I almost gave up! Then my teacher let me borrow a Bates, and it was smooth sailing after that. Now that I've picked it up pretty well, I may try the Boye again, just to see if there's any difference for me now. The Bates head is broad, and sometimes I have trouble inserting it into a stitch. I think I still have my Boye hooks...somewhere...:think

Archived