blocking large doily

Julie

I need tips! :bounce My last big doily was 18" after blocking and just had barely fit onto my snowflake blocking board. The one I'm working on now is already 18" unblocked. :faint I know I can get another set of foam poster boards to add to what I already have, but I'm hoping for ideas you might have if I can't get to the store in time and I'm anxious to block it. I'm two rounds from finishing it but with errands being run tomorrow it will probably be Wednesday before I can think of blocking it. Can anybody give me ideas for blocking a 22 - 24 inch doily? :)

For the life of me, I can't remember how I blocked my 27" doily, cuz my blocking board only goes up to 23". You could get a large cardboard box from somebody's dumpster, open it out flat and draw your circles using the old pin and thread method for a quick, cheap fix until you have time for something more permanent. Those fold-out quilting boards are graphed and huge, but very pricey unless you have a half-price coupon. They work great, tho'.

Susan Rae

[WOW 22-24" !!!! **faint** ]

If you can't make it out to pick up larger foamboard, I'd probably use something like Susan Rae mentioned and take a bunch of cardboard, flatten it out, and put multiple pieces together to make it thicker, cover it with some plastic wrap, then maybe some fabric, and go for it.

Dawn (DawnsRays) had some good tips a while back for the blocking boards that she's made, but I can't find where she said it! You might want to ask her in a PM/email/blog comment...

Good luck! I can't wait to see this one!! :clap

:whewIt's done. I took two boxes that we had that laying flat were about 19" wide and taped them together. The doily is blocking now, I was praying the whole time the cardboard wouldn't fold up if I stretched it too much. Finished it looks to be 21½"; I might have been able to get more but it was so big it gets hard to be sure I have it pinned evenly. I think I need to haunt Home Depot and Lowes for something suitable that I can adapt... :think I would love to do a 30" doily some day and need something sturdier than cardboard taped together.

Those fold-out quilting boards are graphed and huge, but very pricey unless you have a half-price coupon. They work great, tho'.

Rick found a listing at Office Depot's website for the foam core posterboard that is 40"x60", $12.99 a sheet. I'm not sure which would be the better price, because I'd like something thicker for the pins to grab than just one sheet so I'd have to get two. :think I'm game for anything that'll work though, and I'll certainly keep my eyes open for quilting boards too - I didn't think of that.

I keep wondering if the quilting boards are thick enough or not -- they seem relatively inexpensive compared to what I've been looking at lately -- the big sweater blocking boards (they're pricey though, $75+).

A lot of people get the uhhh... what are they called?! big things they wind fabric on at fabric stores. But I didn't think they were wide enough... hm.

A lot of people get the uhhh... what are they called?! big things they wind fabric on at fabric stores. But I didn't think they were wide enough... hm.

I know what you mean - the cardboard cores... not big enough for doilies but probably great for snowflakes. I'm still searching, but that foam core board is looking better and better as I call around town. :phone

I know what you mean - the cardboard cores... not big enough for doilies but probably great for snowflakes. I'm still searching, but that foam core board is looking better and better as I call around town. :phone

I know people who use them for sweaters, so I think they're talking about the big thick wooden parts that are covered with padding... ??

OMG that is so beautiful!

For large projects to block, I found sheets of styrofoam at a hardware store (Lowes)-it was some type of insulation material. There are all thicknesses. Mine is about 1 or 1 1/2" thick. It was only about $15 and it was HUGE. My boyfriend had to cut it in half to fit it in his truck. I used it to block a jacket I crocheted.

Archived