Discontinued Yarns & sales?

7pawz

It's good to do some research on yarn sales prices, one online website that I encountered was having a "sale" on discontinued yarn, Caron's pounder, in certain colors, 3 to a bag,and I priced them at Jo Anne's on sale, Jo Anne's was $3 less per skein than the other store, seems like Jo Anne's was giving the better deal---sometimes a sale is not a sale?:)

Exactly. It pays to know the basic prices at your local stores if you have them, as well as online. Sometimes it's cheaper to get it at 'regular price' anytime you want instead of waiting for a sale somewhere else.

Which colors are being discontinued?

Priszm:) the Caron Pounder yarn that I mentioned was not being discontinued, the site sold other discontinued yarns and happen to have a "sale" on the pounder, only it wasn't a sale:)

• 1 month later...

Know your prices and if ordering on-line, don't forget to add in the shipping charges if applied. Sometimes things can seem so much cheaper on line and then you add in a big shipping charge, and you really don't save.

:manyheart

Know your prices and if ordering on-line, don't forget to add in the shipping charges if applied. Sometimes things can seem so much cheaper on line and then you add in a big shipping charge, and you really don't save.

:manyheart

You're so right:)

I was on the Lion Brand site the other day and noticed that some of their yarn is or has been discontinued. Maybe it's just me, but I think places like HL or Michael's just don't carry as much LB as they used to for some reason.

I was on the Lion Brand site the other day and noticed that some of their yarn is or has been discontinued. Maybe it's just me, but I think places like HL or Michael's just don't carry as much LB as they used to for some reason.

You may be right---there is a particular yarn I need from lb and I'll have to order it online, HL didn't have that one:(

• 2 months later...
It is always good to research and find the best price - that called "Caveat Emptor"

But In fairness to the independent Re & E -Tailers it is worth considering that their selling price reflects their costs.

Big Chains like Michael's, Joann's, AC Moore, do not always pay the same price for a product and often have lower operating costs - so their everyday price may well be lower not only than the independent seller's sale price,

But often it is lower than what the independent can buy at wholesale, before shipping costs and other costs of doing business are added.

Before I began actively retailing, (and even now) I often will choose to buy something from an Independents because they are the ones who keep the unusual available once the fad is over and the products are not selling quickly enough. So they may well need a little more profit on all their items to enable them to take the risks of stocking items you may not easily find elsewhere.

Its that old story about not judging another until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

I understand we must all shop carefully, it is just painful to see the assumption that because a price is higher that person or company is over charging instead of just covering their higher costs.

Thanks for listening.

Wheat

You're absolutely correct Wheat---my original posting was not to assume that someone was overcharging---my point was price comparision. I have to cover my cost as well when I market my candles or soap and all of that depends on my suppliers as well, somewhere in this economy, there has to be a silver lining:)

My dh told me to order some yarn online since we have a hard time getting to a yarn store. I said to him by the time you get your yarn it cost almost as much to ship it and I cold get more yarn with the shipping cost at a store. unless I can spend over 25 @ joAnn or get the mill end then its 75. :lol he just looked at me :lol

Bunnie have you checked the places that have flat rate shipping?

http://www.knitting-warehouse.com is one, http://www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.com (NO affiliation) is another. There maybe other places.. these are just two that I'm familiar with.

Order as much or little as you want from KW.. the shipping is the same. Lisa has flat rate up to 50.00 order.

With gas prices being so high, I don't mind paying a reasonable amount in shipping.

I have Michaels, Joanns, Wal-mart and AC Moore, all within a reasonable distance from my home if I need yarn. I have bought there, when it is on sale (the regular prices differ from $2.28 a skein to $2.59 for RedHeart Saver and similar differences in other brands. I tend to shop online when there is free shipping (even over a certain amount, I have no problem making the minimum amount, often it is double or triple by the time I finish ordering) and often there is no tax to my state. So I tend to buy more than if I was in a store. And with the high gas prices (my area is way over the average too), I do what is necessary to get the most for my money.

LI Roe

I have Michaels, Joanns, Wal-mart and AC Moore, all within a reasonable distance from my home if I need yarn. I have bought there, when it is on sale (the regular prices differ from $2.28 a skein to $2.59 for RedHeart Saver and similar differences in other brands. I tend to shop online when there is free shipping (even over a certain amount, I have no problem making the minimum amount, often it is double or triple by the time I finish ordering) and often there is no tax to my state. So I tend to buy more than if I was in a store. And with the high gas prices (my area is way over the average too), I do what is necessary to get the most for my money.

LI Roe

I like to get the most for my money too:) I live so far out, 30 mins from the nearest Walmart and their yarn is going the way of the dinosaur; so when I get a chance and see a good sale online, I buy it. Craftsect.com had a great sale 2 wks ago, ILTY and RHSS, $1.87 per skein, free shipping over $25---I couldn't pass it up!:lol Got some real pretty varigated and stripped yarn and camo.

• 4 weeks later...

:clapDoes anyone have a site for caron simply soft discontinued yarns? Or does anyone have this yarn in color Jonquil? I have run short to continue a baby afghan and need about two skeins of this color. Please contact if you can help me out. Thanks

:clapDoes anyone have a site for caron simply soft discontinued yarns? Or does anyone have this yarn in color Jonquil? I have run short to continue a baby afghan and need about two skeins of this color. Please contact if you can help me out. Thanks

Have you written to Caron? Sometimes, not often, but sometimes they can find a small amount of a discontinued color, or recommend where to look for it.

There's a couple of email addresses here:

http://www.shopcaron.com/shop/cart.php?target=help&mode=contactus

Personally, I've had better success at the second email address on that page. Public relations at Caron leaves something to be desired.. in my opinion. Your experience may differ.

I've checked with an online group that often has access to discontinued yarns, and they don't have that one.

Have you checked ebay? They have a "want it now" section that you could list in and hope someone could fill your need.

Good Luck.

Lisaizme, I have already tried everything you suggested in your reply but thanks for trying. So far no answers to my "want it now" posting on eBay, no replies from Caron PR dept. as you apparently already anticipated, and no answers to various sources I have used in past. Just have to hope someone has a skein or two of my color and reads of my predicament online in one place or another. Thanks anyway, Susan

Archived