made by women inmates

threadlover

I was so surprised to see that they are allowing inmates to crochet in Arizona. I checked out the link. I was a correctional officer at one time (about 16 yrs ago - wow could it have been that long?) and the inmates there were not allowed to have metal objects like crochet needles. Maybe in low security facilities it is different.

Those pieces were just marvelous. I can't even imagine trying to crochet with a piece of wire hooked on the end. How facinating! I will never complain about my hands aching from small or extra large hooks again! Promise! :D

God bless you and thanks for sharing this. Super!

Angel Hugs,

Peg

This is especially wonderful for me to see. I learned to crochet in jail in 1970. I was into drugs for a few yrs in the hippy days. I've always been grateful that I learned the skill while I was there. I'm a lefty & not very patient. I don't think I would have had the patience if I didn't have so much free time. I also didn't have anyone outside sending me commissary money & the food was horrible... So I learned to crochet & read patterns (which most of the other women didn't learn) & soon I was sellimg things to even experienced crocheters inside. I'm sure that learning to crochet helped me to have confidence in myself & my abilities which led to me leaving the drug life behind. I'm still an old hippy at heart though.

I'll bet these women were thrilled to have something to do too & possibly to make some money to survive in there. I can't imagine how bad & sparce the food was in the 1800s. Thanks for posting this!!!

The only word I can come up with to describe this is "awesome"! To think that it was made with hair-thin thread and a hook that wasn't even a real hook, it boggles the mind!

Archived