Catholic design preferences?

Becky Morgan

I'm not Catholic (yet:D) but we often attend events at a church nearby and I asked if they'd like something to raffle off for Easter. That project is almost done, but in the course of the conversation Father Rowan mentioned, with an extremely wistful look and hinting tone, that the church has about 90 shut-ins who feel ever so forgotten at this time of year...I took the hint. I have some nice cross bookmark patterns that shouldn't take long. Do any of you know whether it is strictly necessary for the cross to be an actual crucifix, or whether the plain cross is acceptable?

Becky,

I grew up Catholic and went to Catholicschools, all of the Nuns had pl;ain cross bookmarks in their bibles and reading books. A plain cross is perfectly acceptable as it is considered a sign of the risen Christ (from all those religion classes) It is a very nice gift you are giving to those shut ins. They truly appreciate the caring put into handmade items and many of them make handmade things for the Church to raffle and sell at bazaars. Who knows you may jsut get to meet one and make a crochet buddy.

A plain cross bookmark will be a wonderful present to the shut-ins this time of year. What a nice, thoughtful gesture. :hug

And yes, I am Catholic.

Plain crosses for bookmarks are good!

We're just not supposed to wear a plain cross around our necks...its supposed to be a crucifix there (this is what I learned in Catholic school too).

My dad is becoming Catholic this month...having his communion and confirmation. Its quite beautiful to watch. Many prayers for you on this journey!

If anybody wants to try my "pattern" such as it is...

Ch 4 and join to form a ring.

(Sc, ch 7) in ring 3 times. Sc, ch 11, sc in 4th ch, ch 4, sl st to first sc in ring (this makes the bottom loop of the cross with a very-bottom loop to hold a ribbon if you like) , fasten off. If felting, pull to shape. If using thread or non-feltable yarn, stiffen with your favorite solution and shape.

Archived