Unstretchable Yarn

sprtsbear

I have made 2 of A.J.'s Wrist bags.. One in cotton and one in acrylic. Both stretch quite a lot. Is there some kind of yarn that doesn't stretch as much?

Some yarns are stretchier than others, but the main stretching is the stitches. It's the nature of crochet. That's why bags keep their shape better if they're lined--any pulling is done against the fabric lining instead of the stitches.

Crocheting with one strand of yarn & 1 strand of thread will stop the stretchiness. I've done it on several bags and it works. You could use a contrasting thread which will add a whole new look to your final product or use a thread that matches your yarn and you'll never notice it.

I used the lionbrand "suede" and it works great. It has held its shape and has not stretched like most yarns do. I am very pleased with it and it feels great too!

Lisa

I used rayon cord and lion brand cotton. The rayon, of course, has not stretch whatsoever. Think crochet with wire!! I guess I crochet tight enough as the cotton is very tight and hasn't YET stretched. :P

Archived