some help choosing color for balnket...

So I saw this gorgeous blanket and have been smitten ever since

http://snapdragons.wordpress.com/2007/07/13/one-tranquil-retreat/

Now, I was originally planning on using an off white natural superwash merino, but am second guessing myself. I'm wondering if I should use a color or several colors?

I love the texture and I realize it's an old fashioned looking afghan, but I'm hoping to make it as modern and fresh looking as possible. I think the solid white looks really great and can be pulled off in a modern home, but want to consider other colors as well, just in case. (I'm afraid the white will get dingy with my pets and children)

So, suggest away!! A solid of a different color? Different color blocks??

I love it all in one color. If you do decide to do multiple colors, I think it would be cool to have a graduated pattern - maybe slowly go from light to dark in a color palette?

Hello everyone! This afghan has gotten a huge response since I wrote about it last summer--as it should. It's my all-time favorite afghan pattern.

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents wrt yarn choice. My mother and grandmother both crocheted this afghan before I did; my mother used Red Heart acrylic, and my grandmother used a different acrylic, I don't know what brand but it was a "softer" yarn with less body. My grandmother's afghan is, as a result, much flatter and less impressive-looking than my mother's. This was what guided my own decision to use Red Heart.

I don't know how different natural fibers would serve the sculptural quality of this afghan; my best guess is that a nice solid wool would do well, a softer merino less well, and that a cotton yarn would be too inflexible to allow one to comfortably make all of those bobbles.

Again--just my 2 cents. Happy crocheting!

Edited to add: the acrylic yarn washes so wonderfully... makes the white more practical.

Thanks for the tips!! I swatched a block of it in Blue Sky Alpacas organic cotton and it looks pretty good, but not exactly what I was going for. Not washable enough and a bit too stiff (maybe I should have used a larger hook). PLUS, it ouwld cost WAY too much since it calls for 4,300 yards. Just playing around with different yarns until I find one I like. I'm trying to stay away from acrylic as I'm working on a ripple in acrylic and I want to branch out to a more natural fiber.

Archived