I'm Learning How to TAT!!!

After Crafty Witch pointed me in the direction of needle tatting, I visited the Handy Hands site and received a catalog. I ordered the beginners set - and I absolutely LOVE it!!:clap My 13 yo daughter is also getting hooked - I'm going to have to order another needle!! Thanks Crafty Witch!:yay

I bought a set of the needles on Ebay but haven't tried them yet. If you go to http://www.hhtatting.com/ there is a catalog you can send for that has all the supplies and comes with some free patterns. Just looking at all the gorgeous stuff in the catalog makes me determined to learn how to do this! I tried shuttle tatting years ago, several times, but never did master it. They say needles are a lot easier. :)

Karen

I did shuttle tatting years ago (Ok, decades ago) and I did enjoy it. I wonder if I could get yarn to do the same stuff as the thread did :wlol

It really is so pretty... I think it is one of those needlearts that all 'ladies' should learn to be considered...well-crafted. :yay

The Handy Hands site has tatting needles for yarn. It's the only place I've seen them. I don't think I've ever seen tatting shuttles for yarn.

Handy Hands also has what they call tatting hooks (which appear to be double ended and not much like the cro-tatting hooks available in a kit from Annie's Attic. Hmm, customer reviews on the Crafter's Choice website indicate that the Annie's Attic kit is not for beginners. The pattern books for hook tatting available from Handy Hands appear to be in Japanese. I don't read that language, but the if the diagrams are clear enough, one may not need to.

:cheerYou go Debbie. i learned to needle tat about 10-15 yrs ago. i love it, although i haven't done any for awhile. just made small things so far. hope to do a doily in the future. ( i too could NEVER get the hang of shuttle tatting.:think) judy

Can anyone tell me the difference between needle tatting and using a shuttle? :thinkA couple of years ago I taught myself the very basics witha a shuttle, up to joining two together but I'm intimidated when looking at some of the beautiful doily patterns. Which is harder/easier?

I've worked my way through the book to the Christmas medallion and it came out okay. I need work on getting my picots the same size. It really is easy, and now my daughter is getting into it. Looks like I'll have to schedule "Needle time"!!

Handy Hands did a great job getting the kit to us. :clap I was very impressed with their service and plan to give them more business in the near future.:yes:yay

Archived