Having Fun & Getting It Done CAL/KAL 4th Quarter!

Good morning, everyone!

So much for my list. :lol I still haven't received my subscriptions. But I have been finding projects to use yarn I already had. That's a good thing. I have started an afghan for my BIL, but seem to have no desire to work on afghans atm. I am about 1/2 way with the Life's a Beach Bag by CrochetRenee. I am having fun, but not really getting done things that I should be (Christmas presents). Should takes the fun right out for me right now. :P

Hope you're all doing better than I am :hug.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good morning, everyone!

So much for my list. :lol I still haven't received my subscriptions. But I have been finding projects to use yarn I already had. That's a good thing. I have started an afghan for my BIL, but seem to have no desire to work on afghans atm. I am about 1/2 way with the Life's a Beach Bag by CrochetRenee. I am having fun, but not really getting done things that I should be (Christmas presents). Should takes the fun right out for me right now. :P

Hope you're all doing better than I am :hug.

Susan, I'm right there with you! I've totally lost my crochet groove this week. I can't find a pattern for the yarns I have, and I don't like the yarn for the patterns I have....crazy, huh?

Thanks Kim, I call them as I see them. I get an idea of something to make, then usually change it in one way or another as I go along, and the finished item winds up being not quite the same, :lol.

So I call it whatever the end product reminds me of...

The stole is warm, and three different shades of yellow, both crocheted and woven, hence Caliente del Sol.

The pink shrug just made me think pink so that is what I call it, "think pink"..

The green shrug is Limeric yarn and made me think of Ireland, The trim is a very short eyelash in variegated greens with touches of pale blue and vivid lavender. I pictured a green hill against the background of a blue sky with Heather in bloom, soooo....Heather Hills.

Silly, I know, but it works. Gives the finished items a special meaning for me.

Beautiful imagery! I love the way you describe the colors and the yarns..:c9

Thank you everyone who has shared pics of your work. Everything looks wonderful!

I really haven't gotten anything done in roughly a week because I was super busy with school and also trying not to let a really nasty cold beat me and my children into submission. Now we're all on the mend and school is back under control. I've almost gotten the first yoga sock finished (maybe 5 more rounds tops :clap) and I should be casting on the second one tonight just before my knitting group meeting. Current status is in my sig. I did get pics of my Cold Shoulder Capelet the other day, but I haven't pulled them from the camera card yet. I'll get those posted up ASAP.

:manyheart

~Relynn

Relynn, I'm glad you and the kids are feeling better! :hugI was thinking about you and wondering since you hadn't posted in a while. LOL, I thought maybe you had become a total knitting convert!:eek

I have started trying to knit again and am still stuck on casting on.... I really think I need to find knitting classes so someone can talk me thru it.:blush

Kim - Have you looked at videos? Thats what I did for the casting on... well all of it actually! I need to see something before it clicks for me most of the time.

Oh - and you could totally do the Seraphina Shawl, it just all the directions look confusing, but the pictures help immensely! Theres a version of it - with a diagram!!! - here on the ville. I found the link to it on Ravelry though. But really, you could do it!

Susan, I'm right there with you! I've totally lost my crochet groove this week. I can't find a pattern for the yarns I have, and I don't like the yarn for the patterns I have....crazy, huh?

That was me about a week and a half ago. It faded when I got some new soft yarn :lol and found a pattern I wanted to do.

Kim - Have you looked at videos? Thats what I did for the casting on... well all of it actually! I need to see something before it clicks for me most of the time.

Oh - and you could totally do the Seraphina Shawl, it just all the directions look confusing, but the pictures help immensely! Theres a version of it - with a diagram!!! - here on the ville. I found the link to it on Ravelry though. But really, you could do it!

LOL, sadly, yes, I have been looking at the videos....I put it away for a while and now I'm going to give it a fresh start and see how I do. I know I can do it!:think

Thanks for the info on the Seraphina! I have yarn that would be really nice for it....Maybe I'll give it a try and see if it will bring me out of my slump.:yes What soft yarn did you get?

Did you see my post about frogging the Circle To Squares afghan? I just couldn't take the pressure....:lol

LOL, sadly, yes, I have been looking at the videos....I put it away for a while and now I'm going to give it a fresh start and see how I do. I know I can do it!:think

Thanks for the info on the Seraphina! I have yarn that would be really nice for it....Maybe I'll give it a try and see if it will bring me out of my slump.:yes What soft yarn did you get?

Did you see my post about frogging the Circle To Squares afghan? I just couldn't take the pressure....:lol

I think I missed a couple of days of posts somehow! I can't believe you frogged it! I have thought about working on mine some more, I have the 3 large squares left, but I think I need more yarn. I haven't quite given up on it yet, but I'm getting close. I think once I get another lull in my projects, I may pick it up again. Maybe.

I got one of Joann's Rainbow boucle for the Seraphina and I'm using a J hook, so its going pretty quick. The yarn makes it hard to see the stitches, but its going good. I have to get one final baby blanket and hat done first. I am working on the lil monkies blanket and then the hat from the seija set from the happy hooker in the same colors. That bernat denim yarn is SO SOFT!!! I love it!

I think I missed a couple of days of posts somehow! I can't believe you frogged it! I have thought about working on mine some more, I have the 3 large squares left, but I think I need more yarn. I haven't quite given up on it yet, but I'm getting close. I think once I get another lull in my projects, I may pick it up again. Maybe.

I got one of Joann's Rainbow boucle for the Seraphina and I'm using a J hook, so its going pretty quick. The yarn makes it hard to see the stitches, but its going good. I have to get one final baby blanket and hat done first. I am working on the lil monkies blanket and then the hat from the seija set from the happy hooker in the same colors. That bernat denim yarn is SO SOFT!!! I love it!

I think I edited my revised list post so that's why you missed it....I kept looking at it and looking at it and just wasn't happy. I decided I love the yarn and I love the colors but just not all together for that pattern. AND, if I"m going to make squares, it's not going to be those...I found another pattern in Crochet! magazine that uses Moda Dea Washable Wool and small motifs, all in the same color. That's the one I want to make in a soft, neutral color.

I love that Lil Monkies blanket, it's so cute! The Bernat Denim yarn sounds wonderful...I'll have to check that out this weekend.

Happy Crocheting!

Well, I did it. My first bag, my first beaded project all in one. The pattern is by our own crochetrenee and can be found in the new Crochet! mag as well as on their website. I used stash for this, Peaches n Cream in Peppercorn Ombre and beads I had found on clearance at Michael's. I think it turned out pretty cool.

th_LifesaBeachTote002.jpg

Now what?!? *goes to hunt through patterns*

Well, I did it. My first bag, my first beaded project all in one. The pattern is by our our CrochetRenee and can be found in the new Crochet! mag as well as on their website. I used stash for this, Peaches n Cream in Peppercorn Ombre and beads I had found on clearance at Michael's. I think it turned out pretty cool.

I love it! It's so pretty with the beads!!

Well, I did it. My first bag, my first beaded project all in one. The pattern is by our own crochetrenee and can be found in the new Crochet! mag as well as on their website. I used stash for this, Peaches n Cream in Peppercorn Ombre and beads I had found on clearance at Michael's. I think it turned out pretty cool.

I really like this bag, you did a great job!

I'm more than half way done with my peaches and cream ghan.... started it 2 days ago, so i'm making better progress than when i was making it look hideous with the squares, my husband is amazed at how I'm flying through it, but I LOVE the pattern I'm using for it, works up very quickly. At this rate my pic on Friday will be of a ghan that just needs a border, :lol

Karen, I think your system is marvelous, especially since it is all in reach. I have to tuck and put things away all the time cause it is so cramped here. I want to move sooo bad.

I used to keep things on couch, but since DH needs the space for his stuff, I am resigned to keeping my things in this little room. (Actually a walk through between the bedroom and bathroom).

Kim, I went through the crochet blues a while ago too, it happens to all of us. In fact I am really sort of crocheted out right now. Creative juices have slowed to a crawl. So I am finishing the last of the ribbon and button sewing and moving on to total sewing for a week or so. It will be the break I need just before the craft fair. Then afterwards, watch out, cause my hooks will be burning from all the crochet friction, :lol.

I have been puttering a little with the sock book I have and doing a swatch or two, nothing great, just testing the waters, so to speak.

Thanks Relynn, for motivating me to do more with socks, I have been promising myself to try for a year now.

Oh, BTW, Kim, thanks for the suggestion on the cotton shawl, although I didn't use the grace, I have gotten a lot of comments on how neat it is.:hug

Susan, I just got some beads n stuff (especially the collapsable eye needle) to do some bead crocheting on my next bag. I've done the kind that you hand sew the beads on the finished product, but want to try crocheting with the beads.

Your bag is very attractive, beads put that something special on items, like the exclamation mark on a sentence...;)

Love your Bag!! :cheer:clap

Am in the process of making some shopping bags, but need to get some more yarn for trim, might frog and do something like yours instead. I really like it.

Update on my list to be done

bil - 4 scarves - (100%)

hubby - 1 scarf (100%)

sil - 4 scarves - (100%)

daughters family - 5 scarves - 2 done (40%)

sil family - 4 scarves (100%)

shopping bags (75%)

Feel like I've done a couple of afghans lol. That's an idea....perhaps a scarve lapghan when I get back from Europe.:hook

Love all your pictures!!!! You all do beautiful work.

Well, this quarter is not going along as well as the last one! I've gotten really busy with other things and had to stop working on my list to whip up a prayer shawl-type thing for my friend's dog. Ok, it really a thick mat/blankie for taking to the vet. She has to stay all day for chemo and needs something for the crate. But its made the Prayer Shawl Way! I won't get back to "the list" for probably 3 weeks!

Susan that bag is so cute - perfect for the beach!!

Suzy, that is so sweet that you are making a prayer blanket for the poop pup! I hope everything turns out ok for the dog!

I have been working on the lil monkies blanket from the happy hooker. I have 8 squares done I think, yes 8. Its working up so fast! I am using a dark blue instead of the red that is shown in the book. I love the Bernat Softee Chunky - its so soft! I got some matching worsted yarn that matches the chunky so that I can make a matching hat from the Seija Set in the book. I liked the blanket from Lil Monkies and the hat from Seija, so I combined them!

I have the Seraphina shawl going too. But its on hold until I get the Lil Monkies blanket finished (or until I get the invite for the baby shower to see exactly when my deadline is!). I am back to my dish cloth too on my needles. I'm still just practicing knitting and purling. I havent tried to decrease or increase yet.

Updated list for today

Dolly Parton doll - 65% complete

Mr Bean style bear - 15% complete

Retro Babette - 20% complete

Sweet Dreams baby blanket - 55% complete

Pink Pet blanket - 100% complete

Green pet blanket #1 - 100% complete

Green pet blanket #2 - 100% complete NEW

Peaches & Cream pet blanket - 60% complete NEW

Red & White Round Ripple - 50% Complete NEW

Green, Cream & Black Round Ripple 0% complete NEW

Finished both green pet blankets, weaved in the ends and finished border.

Now to get going on the peaches and cream blanket

As I'm going thru my crochet 'angst' I decided to revise my revised list once again! Thanks so much to everyone who posted saying they understood and have been thru this too. It helps to hear that!:hug

So here is my current list...until I change it yet again....:blush It's much smaller than my original list. I haven't decided against all my original projects. I'm just trying to prioritize until I get my groove thing back.....:yes

1. Lisette Sweater/shawl....have yarn, starting today!

2. Crochet skirt....need yarn

3. Garden Party Lace Wrap...have yarn

4. Blythe shawl...have yarn

5. Learn to Knit!

Kim~ boy can I relate to trying to get your groove back... I barely touched my hooks from december until the end of march, just couldn't get the gumption to do it... so much stress and anxiety, still can't figure out why I stopped doing the one thing that ALWAYS reduces my anxiety lvl :think

I'm sure you'll get your groove back soon, and it's nice to see you scaling back, makes me feel better about having a smaller list too :rofl

Kim~ boy can I relate to trying to get your groove back... I barely touched my hooks from december until the end of march, just couldn't get the gumption to do it... so much stress and anxiety, still can't figure out why I stopped doing the one thing that ALWAYS reduces my anxiety lvl :think

I'm sure you'll get your groove back soon, and it's nice to see you scaling back, makes me feel better about having a smaller list too :rofl

:lol:lol:lol

I'm so glad to hear it's not just me!

Well, I finished the first yoga sock and realized that I really should have used a different cast off method than just a knitted cast off. It was way too tight at the opening near the toes. Trust me, that sucked something awful. lol

So, I'm putting them on the back burner for now and moving on down the list. I made notes on the pattern so when I do come back to it I can remember what I need to do to make it fit me right.

I'm going to try to get started on Mom's blanket tonight. I've got to get that beast finished this century and I'm sick of seeing it. :lol I get totally manic about getting things done when I get fed up with seeing them undone.

Well, I finished the first yoga sock and realized that I really should have used a different cast off method than just a knitted cast off. It was way too tight at the opening near the toes. Trust me, that sucked something awful. lol

So, I'm putting them on the back burner for now and moving on down the list. I made notes on the pattern so when I do come back to it I can remember what I need to do to make it fit me right.

I'm going to try to get started on Mom's blanket tonight. I've got to get that beast finished this century and I'm sick of seeing it. :lol I get totally manic about getting things done when I get fed up with seeing them undone.

I'm sorry to hear about the sock! I know exactly what you mean about having to get things finished once you're tired of looking at them...that's how I ended up frogging my Circle To Square blanket....I just couldn't take the pressure!:sweat

Kim, I have been there, too, infact, just got my groove back. I honestly found the list to be more of a hinderance than a help for awhile. Right now I am just doing projects that I feel like on a whim, and have been having much more fun. That is half the point of this CAL, right.

My latest start is the Haw Frost Shawl Cardigan. I had gotten some Bernat Haven in Cinnamon Mist on clearance and had no idea what I'd do with it. The Haw Frost was perfect! :clap I am going to have to find some more yarn though :(. Could be a problem. I hope not.

Archived