Stitching in the Trenches CAL

Tracey4610

Hey all! Roli's trench sweater inspired me to make one, too! You know, the one designed by Melissa Leapman? I found the pattern here: http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/Apparel/CTFEB07+Classic+Crochet+Trench.htm

It was originally in Crochet! magazine last spring, but now it's a free pattern!!

I can't start for about 2 weeks, until my dh returns to work (he's using paternity leave since our 2nd dd was born 2 weeks ago! ;)). Needless to say, I'm not getting any stitching done right now, but I was wondering if anyone would want to make this with me? I have some purple Cascade wool that was gifted to me last year (thanks, Lori!) that is just begging to be worked up into this sweater.

Reading Roli's thread, it seems there are a couple suggestions for variations, such as:

belted as instructed;

unbelted but with a button on top;

with pockets.

Personally, I love this style, and I may add pockets into the side seams, myself, and make it the way Roli has it (though I may just make the belt to go with it once I get my figure back for next fall!! :lol).

Anybody interested?

I've wanted to make this since I first saw it, but I can't buy any more yarn for a while and don't have enough of any one color to make this one. I suppose it'll have to wait for now.

I would love to do this, but I can't start right now. I'm not sure when I can start, honestly LOL! I have too many projects queued up right now, but I loved Roli's trench and I love the pattern! Maybe I'll have to re-arrange....:)

Oh, and congrats on the new baby!!

I've been looking for a simple, practical sweater to work up this winter...and I loved this design the first time I saw it. But I didn't know it was now a free pattern! Hooray! I'd love to join you, Tracey! I don't have any yarn for it yet, but I just found a random $20 bill while cleaning house...Praise the Lord! :D So, I think I may be able to talk DH into letting me buy a little yarn just for this project. ;) I'm thinking a rich brown, maybe with some little fleck of color to give it a tweedy look...hmmm....I'm feeling very inspired!

Okay, so I'm ready to get started on this sweater right away, but I'm still trying to decide what size to make it. I'm stuck right there in the middle between small and medium...

But I did get my yarn already! Not the brown tweed I was hoping for, but I'm still happy with the color I chose. I'm sure if I had all the money in the world, as well as the time to go to some fancy yarn shop, I could have found the exact yarn I imagined...but I digress...I found some great Red Heart Soft Yarn in "Dark Leaf" that I think will be great. I haven't used this yarn before, but it feels nice, like a cross between Caron SS and Vanna's Choice.

Here's a pic or two:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2072/2163535535_e3fa0a964b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2366/2164333270_b97113909b.jpg

The yarn is just a touch darker than the photos suggest, but not much. It's just a rich, leafy green. I like!

Wow...we really need to get more people in on this CAL!

I started this yesterday, but I only got a few rows done before I realized I needed to work on something for my etsy shop. Once I finish that, I'll be working on the trench coat non-stop. I have a trip coming up, too...so I'm sure alot will get done in the car!

Tracey, I can't wait to see what yours is going to look like. The color sounds so rich!

Welcome, Beth! That yarn sounds soooo nice!

I just popped in to say that I won't be in for a week or so...DH and I are spending some time with family for a while, and I won't be around the computer much. But the next time I'm here, I hope to have a ton of progress made on this coat. It's now my only WIP, so I'm rarin' to go! And by the time I check in next, I'm sure some of you will have started working too! I can't wait to see everyone's work!

Boy, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to try to start this project w/ a newborn, a toddler, and a dh in the house!! :lol I started Row 1 of the back a couple days ago, and haven't been able to pick it up since. However, I do like this stitch pattern (it's also used in the 8-Pocket tote on LB's site!), and it looks so yummy in the Cascade wool!! I can't wait to make some real progress and finish it off just so I can wear it.

Oh! And welcome to those of you who are joining us!! Let's try to recruit some others, too!!

Every Monday, I'll ask the following questions: What fibers/yarns are you planning to use? Are you making the sweater as written, or do you plan to make a variation? How much have you worked so far? Hopefully, this will be able to help keep us all on track, since I know some of us have resolutions this year to not start something new until something else is finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...I'm back from my trip! I didn't get as far as I had hoped on this project, but I'm enjoying it! I actually finished the whole back piece, but when I went to check the sizing I realized that it was WAY too small. So I thought maybe I could get away with it if I just made the front panels in a larger size. But no...so I guess I'll be frogging the back. But that's okay. I'm not in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness, looks like we're not keeping up on our CAL very well, huh? :P I have been really busy at work and home lately. We got a new computer, so trying to get everything reorganized has been taking up alot of my crochet time! But today I did get the left front side finished, and I frogged over half of the back panel (since I made it the wrong size) as well. I would have taken a picture, but it's a mess around my house right now! I'm not feeling very confident on the shaping of the arm holes right now. I'm hoping that I'm doing it right, because it just doesn't looks quite like I think it should. But I haven't crocheted a sweater in pieces like this before, so I'm not sure what "right" looks like! Oh well.... Hope someone here is making more progress than I am! :)

Hello out there!!! Am I the only one working on this project now? Hmmm....oh well.... At least I a making some progress. I now have finished the right front panel, though it was a bit tricky to think backwards when reading the pattern for the left front. I think it worked up fine, though. Now I am starting over on the back panel, so I hope to have that finished in a few days, too!

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody out there!?

I finally finished the back panel, so now I'm on to the sleeves. I can't wait to get this finished and see what it looks like on me. (I also can't wait to finish it so I can work on some other projects!) I'll probably be posting pictures of my progress this coming weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to rename this Crochet-Along a "Crochet-Alone" because I seem to be the only person still working on my trench coat!:shrug

Oh well, I am certainly enjoying the progress made on this project. I can hardly wait to have it finished and to be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor!:bounce Just some seaming left and perhaps a belt or some buttons...and I will have a lovely new FO! Check out the photo below for a sneak peek, or my blog for more pics and info on my progress!

Photo: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2322203414_8a8d1c904e.jpg

Bloggy: http://cocoacream.wordpress.com/2008/03/09/busy-as-a-bee/

O.k.....your trench has inspired me! LOL Although now I think I may be the only one here to show my progress to....But I am going yarn shopping tonight. I don't really have anything in particular in mind. Hope something will just 'call to me' Since it's so near spring, maybe I'll do something in a springy color.

Auugh! I want in! I need to buy more yarn.:yarn:yarn:yarn:yarn:yarn

I want to make this; I love projects in worsted weight, it goes so fast.

P.S. Cocoa, I love your coat. Your perseverance on that stubborn back panel paid off!:clap

Yippee! More trench coat friends at last! :) I just got back from a short road trip, so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Seams are all finished, but I have a bunch of ends to weave...ugh! Then I will decide where to put the buttons...lots of people have given me their feedback, so I look forward to seeing which side wins!

Yippee! More trench coat friends at last! :) I just got back from a short road trip, so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Seams are all finished, but I have a bunch of ends to weave...ugh! Then I will decide where to put the buttons...lots of people have given me their feedback, so I look forward to seeing which side wins!

Yeah, I voted for the buttons 'double breasted' style, but I thought it might be cool to do 2 coats....one of each...LOL

On another note, I have decided to go with the Peacock and I will be starting mine tomorrow as I have some things I have to finish up today. :U

Almost finished...I just have to buy a couple more buttons. I decided to put them all down one side, but pretty close together. So I need 1 or 2 more to complete the look. Then I will post photos on my blog! Yea! I'm almost there! (And my hubby says he thinks it looks great on me, too....isn't he sweet?!)

:cheerWoohoo! I am done! I told you I'd get this done this weekend. :)

I am very satisfied with the completed product, and I'm very glad I took the time to make the larger size. It fits great, and it even looks a bit slimming! The buttons were the perfect addition for me, too. I think a belt would have just cut me in half and made me look all frumpy! Check out my blog for pics of the buttons and button loops up close. Click the link to see a photo of the finished product!

Blog: http://cocoacream.wordpress.com/2008/03/22/spring-trench-coat-finally/

Photos: front--http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2382/2353512352_7c9b175ce8_b.jpg

back-- http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/2353509758_72fb2a9e63_b.jpg

Archived